Thread: Stopping amitriptyline

Stopping amitriptyline

Hi thought I’d right a diary about stopping and my experience I was on 10mg fo about 5 month I was ok on it till a month ago started getting dizzy spell and anxious on the new box so I’ve been told to stop so last nigh I didn’t take a dose but did take a sleeping tablet called zopiclone. I only slept through hours I had palls and I took my propranolol to try help with the palpitations. This morning I obviously still feels anxious but feel more with despite no sleep . Can not wait to get this drug out my system x

Re: Stopping amitriptyline

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydelight View Post
    Hi thought I’d right a diary about stopping and my experience I was on 10mg fo about 5 month I was ok on it till a month ago started getting dizzy spell and anxious on the new box so I’ve been told to stop so last nigh I didn’t take a dose but did take a sleeping tablet called zopiclone. I only slept through hours I had palls and I took my propranolol to try help with the palpitations. This morning I obviously still feels anxious but feel more with despite no sleep . Can not wait to get this drug out my system x
    There are 3 medications in this mix and it could be any of them. Amitriptyline is unlikely to cause you any withdrawal symptoms, especially at this low dose and the fact that you have only been on it for 5 months. It is a low dose tricyclic antidepressant which is not addictive.

The dizzy spells happened about a month ago took last dose of ami last the night the propranolol and the zopiclone which didn’t work on started last night x

My personal experience of all three: My doctor swapped my Amitriptyline for mirtazapine and I didn't have any side effects at all. I use Propanolol intermittently at times of greater anxiety and cessation has no effect and stopping Zopiclone didn't cause any effect (although I was only on it for 28 days).

I'd go back to your doctor and seek their professional advice.

Good luck

Tony

Sunnydelight, Amitriptyline can cause this syndrome: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/postur...rdia-syndrome/
    There's a lady over on the Mirtazapine section who experienced this on Amitriptyline and had to come off it.

All the best.

Thank you for ur response I had an ecg and they said it was fine x

You are on an extremely low dose. I am on nortriptyline at 75mg now for 25 days, for anxiety. Slow to start I guess effects take 6 to 8 weeks to start.

Thread Information