Thread: Relaxation techniques

Relaxation techniques

ello, anybody got any good relaxation techniques for muscular tension e.g. neck, back etc. Also any good techniques for relaxation in stressfull situations and at home, any suggestions greatly appreciated. The more the merryier.

Thanks Stuart

Re: Relaxation techniques

never mind, guess no body knows how to relax.

Stuart

I am with you on this Stuart. I find it sooo hard to relax - my body is so tense 24/7. I think it is my breathing that is making me worse and more tense plus the way I sit etc.

I try relaxation cd's but they make me feel even more tense.

The tension in my neck, shoulders and head are really painful at times and quite frightening. I put a heat pad on my shoulders to try to relieve the pain and it goes for a while but then comes back.

I even find that my body is really tense when I first wake up in the morning, which means that my body never relaxs even when sleeping.

I am so fed up with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic1971 View Post
    I am with you on this Stuart. I find it sooo hard to relax - my body is so tense 24/7. I think it is my breathing that is making me worse and more tense plus the way I sit etc.

I try relaxation cd's but they make me feel even more tense.

The tension in my neck, shoulders and head are really painful at times and quite frightening. I put a heat pad on my shoulders to try to relieve the pain and it goes for a while but then comes back.

I even find that my body is really tense when I first wake up in the morning, which means that my body never relaxs even when sleeping.

I am so fed up with it all.
    Ditto

Stu

I find meditation good. Also, I had some training earlier in the year in a technique called Autogenics. I can now trigger myself into a state of relaxation in minutes. It's really powerful imo.

Hi Stu

If your finding you get a lot of tension in your neck and shoulders, then you are probably hunching your shoulders ie - raising them high up round your ears, this is very common when suffering from anxiety, try to recognize when you are doing this and make a effort to drop them and relax.

You could also try the following, lie or sit down and begin your slow relaxed breathing, as you breath in tense the muscles in your feet and legs, when you breath out relax the muscles , do this several times and slowly work up your body tensing and relaxing the muscles as you concentrate on your breathing. By doing this daily you will release the tension in your muscles and also recognise the difference between tense and relaxed muscles.

To ensure your breathing correctly place a hand on your upper tummy just under your breast bone , take a deep slow breath in through your nose to the count of four , your stomach should rise, then slowly release the breath through your nose again to the count of four and feel your stomach fall

Ensure that your tounge is placed down in your mouth to relax the throat and jaw, again when we suffer with anxiety we tend to put the tounge to the roof of the mouth tense, which instantly causes tension in the throat neck and jaw ......... this is the reason people complain of feeling a lump in the throat and the choking feeling, again it is all tension

With regard to the neck area once you have ensured your shoulders are dropped, lie down and gently push your head back onto the pillow , breath in and then relax as you breath out , repeat this as often as you feel nessesary

By breathing through your nose you are making sure that the air you breath is much fresher and warmer, which is far more pleasant for the body.

I would suggest the breathing excersise twice daily and the muscle tension once a day or more if required , hope this information helps

Michelle
    But you try farting and see how much attention you get !!!

Just bumping this thread up, it's pretty old but still relevant? I'm trying to learn any relaxation methods that people find helpful. Any tips?

I listen to progressive muscle relaxation, and have found it so helpful. The person I listen to doesn’t seem to have anything on YouTube though so can’t recommend him, but definitely find one you like. You need to listen regularly even if you think it’s doing nothing, or if you fall asleep, it does go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Scass, I'll take a look on youtube

A bit counterintuitive, but is it possible for you to do a really physical workout (or running or whatever activity you prefer) and after that try some kind relaxation? Sometimes it's the activity that releases tension and also clears the mind from extra thoughts.

Thread Information