Thread: Extreme existential anxiety (((time)))

Extreme existential anxiety (((time)))

Hi all,

New to the forums here at nomorepanic, I'm Alex, 28, and come with what I believe has roots in anxiety and panic but shares many similarities with psychosis. I've seen many professionals in my 3 months of purgatory, none of whom either know what to make of my symptoms, or disregarded 90% of my symptoms to fit into a nice diagnostic category. One was genuine enough to admit she'd never heard the like, but I found one user on this forum who suffered an almost identical syndrome. He doesn't appear to be active anymore (hopefully he recovered), but hence this is what brought me here.

Earlier this year I experienced 2 weeks of DP/DR after taking sertraline, which was then wiped away by what I can only describe as existential horror. Whilst in the DP/DR state I experienced a moment where it seemed like my brain was trying to capture every movement at once. This gave way to a constant questioning of time, which has resulted in what I can only describe as a phobia of the fluidity of life. My mind, in its sickening ingenuity, also managed to apply this phobic reaction to my internal thoughts, not being comfortable with anything more than 2 second segments before the thought fades and I can literally feel it being 'dragged back' and erased from present focus. I cannot look at anything, have a conversation, watch tv, or do any of the things I used to enjoy, without thinking about time. It is like I am in a box, with my brain being terrified of the fact that this moment will soon be 'past', terrified of future planning because the future does not exist and it cannot figure it out, and uncomfortable with the present, with all its' unconscious, uncategprised spontaneity, fluidity and emotion that it cannot comprehend. I have been living in this hell, with my old perceptions completely erased now for 3-4 months. I am so tired of it but I know it is not just going to fix itself when I wake up one morning. In addition it flips it lid trying to figure out virtually any experiential concept "what should I be feeling with this", and when it has no outlet for this line of questioning it warps into extra sensory discomfort, because, you know. Couldn't just let me chill for 5 minutes.

I won't be dishonest and say there haven't been improvements, I have begun to feel marginally better since being put on an appropriate medication regime. But to get that far I had to endure 3 months of 24/7 agony before I went to a&e and basically said either it is taken as seriously as it is or I won't do another day of it, if you catch my meaning. So now existence, time, memory and thinking are now just uncomfortable rather than agonising. It is true that the old me is still here with my intellect and insight that probably got me into this mess to begin with. As mentioned I had noticed users with similarly horrific conditions in very similar circumstances. If anyone has any insight, experience or success stories with this type of existential breakdown I would love to hear from you.

Best regards

Alex

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya al_pk and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Extreme existential anxiety (((time)))

Thank you pain, it's the first time I've heard of this.

Best regards,

Alex

Pain,

How long did it take you to recover from this kind of state? And any tips for someone currently in hell?

Alex

Pain, thank you for your honesty. Funnily enough I never expected or considered a full recovery, I feel like that would require six months in a coma for mental recovery and amnesia. I had a breakdown of this type in 2014 but the 'subject matter' was much more tolerable and i was able to still work. I recovered from that passably in a year and totally in 2... but i will admit that a 'shadow' always remained. I will remember Stemetil. I am currently on olanzapine as it is also supposedly useful for psychosis, schizophrenia and all the nasties and they don't really know exactly what it is. I have been on it for 2 weeks and so I'm still not quite in the 'kicking In' phase.

Diazepam is my current anti anxiety staple which I believe has given me space to begin recovery, and makes it all relatively tolerable. Nothing like normal but an edge has definitely been removed.

Mirtazipine is my anti depressant but I think they are vastly over estimating the relative contribution of depression.

Re: SSRIs, it was sertraline that caused this breakdown for me in the first place. Or if not it was very coincidental as it happened all at once on day 3 of administration. SSRIs/SNRIs are not being considered for me any more and almost reassuring that we have the same kind of receptivity as we probably have similar brain types.

Will let you know how the olanzapine progresses. All the best

Al

I found it helped a lot with sleep and appetite but doesn't make a dent in how I felt with the main disorder. It is also pretty benign I didn't suffer any side effects, and I think they use it because it is light on the side effects.

I get shooting panic sensations, tingling.. 'stress' feeling in my legs, periodic nausea and vomiting. About 1% compared to the 99% psychological symptoms though

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

For standard depression it's supposedly very good. I guess i have felt less suicidal since starting it aswell. Kind of like the main disorder is always present, but my reserves of 'hope have been bolstered.

Hi Pain, I've experienced saccade, right at the start of this episode which is when it all started to go wrong and.i still do when I'm particularly stressed (more than usual). Your symptoms sound very alike my experiences of depersonalisation and derealisation. For some reason for me, it all migrated 'inward', I experienced a strange mental pulsing and a kind of 'jigsaw' effect to my thoughts and sight. I have also experienced huge 'doom barriers' when I want to do anything, and a kind of phobic reaction attached to basically all thoughts. All thoughts! I believe i have disassociated as I can't keep a train of thought going. I'm haunted all day by disturbing abyssal sensations and I have emotional problems in that all my true emotions have been disassociated or covered up by this horrible condition.

I have noticed that this has all become less over time but they are all still there just coming with less impact. I'm experiencing life very strangely and wrongly atm.

Yeah it's been like this for 4 months. I recognise that these Things are protective mechanisms and I also understand what it was protecting me from. However I think it did stray into total nervous and mental collapse, I can't see many of my symptoms at the moment as being protective, it's like having post traumatic stress from post traumatic stress.

Re: swimming and not drowning I currently feel like I'm a full grown man paddling in the shallows wearing budgy smugglers my mum made me wear

Thread Information