Thread: Really weird anxiety learning stuff stopping my progression

Really weird anxiety learning stuff stopping my progression

Hey,

So I haven't been on here in a few years now, but really wanted to post this it's so strange and annoying since oct 2016 I've been learning 3d modeling and have progressed.

But when I'm learning said thing I literally can't stop my self going back to certain tutorial videos etc to see how things were done and end up spending hours on end and wasting my day pretty much because my mind just will not let it go and I can't stop feeling overwhelmed and anxious if i don't go and see how to do said thing and its really starting to annoy me.

Re: Really weird anxiety learning stuff stopping my progression

sounds normal to me to be honest

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

That sounds obsessive to me. Been through it myself at work and outside in many ways.

If it's making you anxious, it's not healthy.

This could be some Perfectionism. You feel the need to check you are doing things right or that everything is perfect. You may feel the need to complete compulsions to ensure it feels "just right".

Learning to sit with the anxiety through ERP helps with it. It's not easy as it means tolerating unpleasant feelings but it does work. But start small and increase time not going back to the tutorials.

It's just part of the doubting side in anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That sounds obsessive to me. Been through it myself at work and outside in many ways.

If it's making you anxious, it's not healthy.

This could be some Perfectionism. You feel the need to check you are doing things right or that everything is perfect. You may feel the need to complete compulsions to ensure it feels "just right".

Learning to sit with the anxiety through ERP helps with it. It's not easy as it means tolerating unpleasant feelings but it does work. But start small and increase time not going back to the tutorials.

It's just part of the doubting side in anxiety.

I think you just summed me up in one go I really have a hard time with perfectionism :( and it is really wearing me out and frustrates me yeah i think i really need to just stop watching and start doing. The thing is there is literally millions of ways to model various different objects and things and I think my mind goes mad thinking I need to know all of them and can't relax
    Last edited by Lockey1995; 02-09-18 at 22:37.

Yes, I can understand the need to cover every base with information too. I've been through that one. Hours of researching to the minute possibility to tick a box on list in my head.

With this one it means taking time to learn to be ok with not knowing things. Reducing overall anxiety levels helps greatly with this too because all that stress just keeps you amped up and you more easily fall into obsessive stuff.

It wasn't just research. I would ask people to repeat what they said or re-read sentences or anything that twanged my need for it. Early on I would sit at work refreshing my email over & over until one came through, and it would just start again.

I've had to learn not to care as much. But when anxiety levels are higher it is harder because you more naturally feel yourself almost being pushed/pulled to do it.

I think you are right. Get on with stuff. Tell yourself it's enough. Then make a start. Tell yourself you have done enough and walk away.

Thread Information