Thread: Concerned about ALS symptoms...

Concerned about ALS symptoms...

Hey everyone,

Over the past two months, I’ve become increasingly concerned that something weird is going on with my body. Back at the end of June, I fell ill with a spell of bronchitis. After three rounds of antibiotics, I’m still coughing, but not nearly as bad. It got so bad at one point that I couldn’t sleep, which affected my work life. I began having panic attacks on the job and developed crippling anxiety.

I quit my job as I had a new one lined up that started at the beginning of August. I had 4 weeks off in between to rest my mind and have a clear head before going into my new position. A few days into my time off, I began to notice that my body was twitching all over, and then after about a week, the twitching became localized. I first noticed it on the right side of my chest for about three days, then it moved to other random parts, arms, side, butt, everywhere. After I started my new job, the twitching moved to my left calf muscle and stayed there for two weeks. After that it moved to my left hamstring and stayed there for a few days and has since begun twitching on the right side hamstring. I still notice twitches elsewhere too, like my fingers, eyelids, stomach, arm, and the bottoms of my feet, but the leg muscles are the most noticeable. They fire off at least once every five minutes or so, sometimes more often.

I don’t know if it’s related to my bronchitis and the nagging cough, but I’ve also noticed that my swallowing has changed a bit. It’s not constant, but for most parts of the day, it feels like my throat has a lump on one side. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult to swallow, it just feels different. The only other thing, and this may be perceived, is that anytime I do any sort of physical activity now, my muscles get sore much easier than before. Walking a few miles tires out my legs for a couple of days. Bowling will make my arm and chest sore on the right side. These are things that either didn’t happen before, or I just never noticed them.

Other than that, I really don’t feel weak. Other than my anxiety telling me I’m weak and maybe a little fatigued from trying to get used to the schedule of my new job, but nothing out of the ordinary. I’ve read that classic symptoms of ALS other than twitching also include failure to be able to perform everyday tasks and severe weakness, neither of which I have.

I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for by posting this, maybe reassurance? I’ve been to the doctor and have a return appointment for September 14th, and I’m hoping by then I can get a referral to a neurologist. But until then I’ll just have to pray this all works itself out and goes away. I know that if I do have ALS, there’s not much I can do about it, but any sort of reassurance would help me mentally right now. Thanks for listening!

Re: Concerned about ALS symptoms...

Have you read the sticky thread about ALS?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for the reply! I have read the sticky. Several times, lol. It’s just hard for me to get my head out of hypochondria mode and accept what the odds are. The fact that I’m 31 years old leans things more in my favor that I’m ok. This is all just new to me though. Other than being a little overweight and having my gall bladder removed 10 years ago, I haven’t had many health problems at all. All the sudden all these different symptoms just pop up and I’m left scratching my head wondering what my deal is.

Seriously though, thank you for the reply. I’ll do my best to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by emain1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I have read the sticky. Several times, lol. It’s just hard for me to get my head out of hypochondria mode and accept what the odds are. The fact that I’m 31 years old leans things more in my favor that I’m ok. This is all just new to me though. Other than being a little overweight and having my gall bladder removed 10 years ago, I haven’t had many health problems at all. All the sudden all these different symptoms just pop up and I’m left scratching my head wondering what my deal is.

Seriously though, thank you for the reply. I’ll do my best to stay positive.
    It is not just the odds, it is the fact that your symptoms don't even remotely resemble ALS. Twitching is more than likely caused by "crippling anxiety" which you should treat.

Margaret Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Andrash View Post
    It is not just the odds, it is the fact that your symptoms don't even remotely resemble ALS. Twitching is more than likely caused by "crippling anxiety" which you should treat.
    Andrash, thanks for the reply. It feels good to know that someone I don’t even know is trying to help lol. I’ve been to several appointments with a therapist about my anxiety and discussed how it can tend to go off rails. It’s something that is brand new to me and hard to rein in, but I think with time I’ll become the way I used to be, not so worrisome. I’ve been prescribed medication as well. 10mg of lexapro. My only two times trying it were a little nightmarish. I would find it hard to fall asleep as my muscles would jerk me awake and would sweat through the night. I felt like I was off the planet. I plan on telling my physician this when I see him next week.

As far as my concern about ALS symptoms, it’s hard to understand what exactly first symptoms consist of, because it can apparently be a multitude of different things. Some I feel like I have experienced and some I definitely haven’t. But you’re not the only person who has told me this doesn’t show any resemblance, so thank you for your input. Like I said, reassurance puts my mind at ease. It’s crazy to think how powerful the mind is that when in a state of anxiety, it can cause ACTUAL physical symptoms like muscle twitches. Honestly mind blowing. I’ll keep this post up to date with any changes in symptoms, or HOPEFULLY, any issues that end up resolving themselves. Thanks again!

Hey everyone,

Over the past two months, I’ve become increasingly concerned that something weird is going on with my body. Back at the end of June, I fell ill with a spell of bronchitis. After three rounds of antibiotics, I’m still coughing, but not nearly as bad. It got so bad at one point that I couldn’t sleep, which affected my work life. I began having panic attacks on the job and developed crippling anxiety.

I quit my job as I had a new one lined up that started at the beginning of August. I had 4 weeks off in between to rest my mind and have a clear head before going into my new position. A few days into my time off, I began to notice that my body was twitching all over, and then after about a week, the twitching became localized. I first noticed it on the right side of my chest for about three days, then it moved to other random parts, arms, side, butt, everywhere. After I started my new job, the twitching moved to my left calf muscle and stayed there for two weeks. After that it moved to my left hamstring and stayed there for a few days and has since begun twitching on the right side hamstring. I still notice twitches elsewhere too, like my fingers, eyelids, stomach, arm, and the bottoms of my feet, but the leg muscles are the most noticeable. They fire off at least once every five minutes or so, sometimes more often.

I don’t know if it’s related to my bronchitis and the nagging cough, but I’ve also noticed that my swallowing has changed a bit. It’s not constant, but for most parts of the day, it feels like my throat has a lump on one side. I wouldn’t say it’s difficult to swallow, it just feels different. The only other thing, and this may be perceived, is that anytime I do any sort of physical activity now, my muscles get sore much easier than before. Walking a few miles tires out my legs for a couple of days. Bowling will make my arm and chest sore on the right side. These are things that either didn’t happen before, or I just never noticed them.

Other than that, I really don’t feel weak. Other than my anxiety telling me I’m weak and maybe a little fatigued from trying to get used to the schedule of my new job, but nothing out of the ordinary. I’ve read that classic symptoms of ALS other than twitching also include failure to be able to perform everyday tasks and severe weakness, neither of which I have.

I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for by posting this, maybe reassurance? I’ve been to the doctor and have a return appointment for September 14th, and I’m hoping by then I can get a referral to a neurologist. But until then I’ll just have to pray this all works itself out and goes away. I know that if I do have ALS, there’s not much I can do about it, but any sort of reassurance would help me mentally right now. Thanks for listening!
    You don't need to see a neurologist and actually I think prolonging this makes it worse. Twitching is completely normal and what you described isn't even "localised" twitching anyway...you're twitching all over. Just because it twitches more on one body part than others that doesn't mean it's localised. You are fine ...just be thankful of this and try and sort out your anxiety.

Health anxiety sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    You don't need to see a neurologist and actually I think prolonging this makes it worse. Twitching is completely normal and what you described isn't even "localised" twitching anyway...you're twitching all over. Just because it twitches more on one body part than others that doesn't mean it's localised. You are fine ...just be thankful of this and try and sort out your anxiety.

Health anxiety sucks.
    Kingdawson, thank you for the reply man. You’re absolutely right about Health Anxiety. And this isn’t the first time I’ve been anxious about something being wrong with me. In the past I’ve had thoughts that I had COPD, rabies, thoughts that someone was out to get me lol. However those resolved themselves within a week. This ALS fear has stuck for the longest amount of time. Not sure why, maybe it’s just me realizing I’m not as young as I used to be? I really don’t know. I’ll figure it out eventually. Thank you again for your reassurance, and I’ll continue working on sorting myself out.

Kingdawson, thank you for the reply man. You’re absolutely right about Health Anxiety. And this isn’t the first time I’ve been anxious about something being wrong with me. In the past I’ve had thoughts that I had COPD, rabies, thoughts that someone was out to get me lol. However those resolved themselves within a week. This ALS fear has stuck for the longest amount of time. Not sure why, maybe it’s just me realizing I’m not as young as I used to be? I really don’t know. I’ll figure it out eventually. Thank you again for your reassurance, and I’ll continue working on sorting myself out.
    No problem mate.

I've had an eye twitch that lasted every day for 3 months(eventually went unless I'm really tired). I've had/have twitching all over. My current 'hotspot' is an elbow twitch on my right. I've had 'hotspots prior as well.

This is being going on for 8 months and in that same time I've gained quite a bit of muscle mass (the opposites of weakness) so that's that. It's just twitching due to anxiety and maybe gym as well. You will be fine mate.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

No problem mate.

I've had an eye twitch that lasted every day for 3 months(eventually went unless I'm really tired). I've had/have twitching all over. My current 'hotspot' is an elbow twitch on my right. I've had 'hotspots prior as well.

This is being going on for 8 months and in that same time I've gained quite a bit of muscle mass (the opposites of weakness) so that's that. It's just twitching due to anxiety and maybe gym as well. You will be fine mate.

Thread Information