Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visible Blood In Urine This Morning..CANCER FEAR

Visible Blood In Urine This Morning..CANCER FEAR

I am paralyzed with fear right now. I woke up this morn, went to the bathroom, and when I looked my pee was rust brown. I got a cold chill looking at it. So I drank two bottles of water, took my daughter to school, came home, and already had to pee again, and it was the same color. I have some home pee test strips, since I'm diabetic, (47 year old male), and I tested it, and the blood was off the chart, confirming what I could obviously see. I got in the car and went straight to my doctor, since they accept walk-ins. I already had to go again, as I drank another two bottles of water on my way there. The pee was now much more clear, but still pinkish, when the doc had me pee in the cup for their lab test. So she sent me home with a referral to a urologist, and said they'd test it for bacteria and a possible UTI, but that came back negative, which in fact scares me even more now, fearing Bladder Cancer. When she called with the results of the negative UTI, she said she wants me to get a CT. So now I have urologist appointment tomorrow afternoon, a CT sometime soon, though not scheduled yet. I also have had microscopic blood in my urine at my last urine lab test in June, but the doc told me not to worry about it then, and I didn't, but now is another story. I keep testing my pee every time I go at home, and there are trace amounts of blood, but not visible at the moment. Still, I could not be more scared. The fact that it isn't a UTI leads the chances of cancer to be even larger, considering I read that 1 in 5 cases of visible blood in the urine turn out to be cancer (thank you for that Dr. Google), and that included cases where there might be UTI. So yes...I'm sick to my stomach with worry. I already have a life-dominating Carcinophobia, which shifts from Pancreatic to Lung cancer fairly regularly, but this is a whole different ballgame considering the visible nature of the symptom, the fact that UTI was ruled out, and the tests and referrals ordered. I'm crying literally with dread right now, and totally can't calm myself, even taking my Trintellix and Klonopin. I just want to have normal health. I don't want to die and leave my 10 year old daughter fatherless. I know what that's like since my best friend died 5 years ago suddenly, leaving his 11 year old and 14 year old kids behind. It's all I can think about. Please God help me.

Re: Visible Blood In Urine This Morning..CANCER FEAR

I have had this and awaiting an ultrasound in 2 weeks. I do have kidney stones though and they can cause blood in the urine.

You just have to wait for all the tests etc to be done I am afraid.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

This must be extremely scary for you and I am sorry. The odds are in your favour and I do know that over the years I have seen a few people on here worry about similar symptoms (visible blood in urine but no UTI) but none of them had cancer. Kidney stones was the most common final diagnosis I think.
    But your wait is still going to suck. Hang in there.

I know that you must be freaked out....I just know you are in agony. But, I wanted to let you know a few things to hopefully ease your mind. My husband had the same thing happen to him a few years ago (early 40s) after he worked out at the gym. I freaked out because that is what I do while he was completely chill, going to appointments. He had a few tests, one where they run dye in the area, and it turned out to just be a one off event, likely due to dehydration and/or straining at the gym. Second, and this is where sometimes HA can be helpful, is that bladder cancer is very, very, very treatable when you go straight to the doctor after seeing blood...just like you did. When I convinced myself this is what my husband had I googled and found some solace in that he was taking charge and not waiting around...just like you.
    I am sure it will end up being something completely benign, but good on you for getting to the doctor and getting everything checked out.

My Dad had bladder cancer and had symptoms for quite a long time before he visited his GP. Yes blood was one of them, but there were many others including significant urinary frequency and pain. Like travelgirl said, bladder cancer is quite treatable if caught early but this by no means is what you even have. Visible blood in urine is common, bladder cancer on the other hand isn’t. Hugs for good results x

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

I’m not sure this is helpful but I thought I would share another story. My father in law (in his 70s, so MUCH higher risk than you) had this symptom. It did turn out to be kidney cancer but all he needed was tumour removal: no radiotherapy, no chemo, nothing. It was the most undramatic cancer diagnosis ever. That was some years ago and he is fine.
    Odds are you will get an entirely benign diagnosis but even in worst case scenario, you will be fine

My money is on kidney stones.

Also, as a diabetic, you are at increased risk of kidney stones

Thank you all for your words of reassurance. I have my appointment with urologist tomorrow afternoon, so I guess I can do nothing else but wait and see. At least my pee has been mostly clear the rest of the day today, though my test strips still show trace readings of blood. Very anxious to see what will happen in the morning when I wake, being as that's how it started out of the blue today.

So I woke up this morning filled with dread of what I'd find, and when I went I immediately got scared because it was a darker hue to my urine. However, it wasn't like yesterday, plus the flow was very slow, and the volume was quite low. Basically it was a dehydrated urine result. I tested it and NO BLOOD, not even a trace reading on the test strips. So now I'm confused. Still going to my appointment this afternoon. Dr. Google says Bladder Cancer blood in urine can be intermittent. Then again, I also find things saying that sometimes these are one-off occurrences that don't get explained. I'm preparing myself for a Cystoscopy, though I'm not 100% sure if the Urologist will do that on the first visit. That in and of itself is frightening to me. I had Hypospadias birth defect when I was born, and two operations down there as a child to repair it. If you don't know what Hypospadias is, you can google it, but suffice to say the urethra doesn't come out at the end like it should, when the baby is born, so it gets fixed, usually with multiple operations, which is what happened with me...but also can lead to lifelong UTIs and other urinary tract issues. This blood may be related if there is a stricture in the urethra. None of it is any fun to deal with or worry about. And I do have a history of stones, as well. So no blood this morning after worrying about it all night. Guess I just go to the doc now and see where that leads me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information