Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast lump concerns and musings

Breast lump concerns and musings

Hello!

Sorry for the funny post title. I went back to the women's clinic this afternoon after having a 6 month ultrasound follow up from two smallish lumps that were seen as hypoechoic. After my first us, I met with a breast surgeon and she advised me to get a mammogram since I had bypassed that step. I had a 3D mammo done and all came back clear. The recommendations were for me to come back the following year for another mammo or to return if anything changed drastically.

I actually requested an us because I thought better safe than sorry. Today's us showed a very slight increase in one of the lumps. I took the info in stride, set up the follow up but found myself to be annoyed by the nurse who shared the info. She seems to be a kind person but also like a women's clinic robot. She mentioned that next week's appointment would be short because the dr wouldn't be performing the biopsy. I corrected her and said "IF a biopsy is seen as the next logical step". She smiled and repeated the same sentence a few minutes later.

Here are my questions for the group: First- has anyone dealt with benign breast lumps that got slightly bigger on subsequent us AND that things still turned out to be ok?

Second: For you ladies who do have benign lumps is this the kind of runaround I can expect each year or at each test?

Third: Maybe I'm getting up in arms about things but doesn't it seem like to med professionals it's no big deal to just get your boobs cut into (I'm not a candidate for a needle biopsy given the location of the lump so I will need to have them surgically removed). Maybe it's just me but I feel that there is this oppressive level of focus on BC here in the US. Like somehow, it's the worst possible thing to happen to a woman is BC. I mean the stats show that women actually have greater rates of heart disease and dementia but those stories always seem to take the back seat to BC. Most of the dementia stories about men losing their mental capabilities but god forbid something happens to a woman's breast!

Anyway, thank you for letting me vent and sharing some insight on the breast lumps. Any and all responses are appreciated!

Re: Breast lump concerns and musings

Was doing so well this past week with HA over this new recommendation to have a consultation with the breast surgeon. I kind of used the last week to get out a lot of anger and fear. And then an email came through late this afternoon that a health blogger I follow passed away from an aggressive form of breast C. Definitely didn't do so well after that.

I spent a good hour combing through breast posts on NMP. I was able to calm myself down by doing that. I've gotten back to a point where I'm ok with the upcoming appointment, and should be able to fall asleep tonight. Maybe have bad dreams but that's still way better than I was the last time I had to go through this.

Hope your visit goes well. I'm having a bit of anxiety for a similar situation. I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound last week, and towards the end of the ultrasound the radiologist zoomed in on one spot and said she wanted an additional mammogram of that area. The technician could tell I was nervous and asked the radiologist to clarify why. The radiologist said to use as a baseline for future readings. My nurse practitioner called me the same afternoon letting me know that the results were okay and the breast clinic would decide if I need a follow up in 6 months to a year.

I didn't expect my appointment with the breast clinic to be just two weeks later (next week) and with a general surgeon. I'm kind of freaking out, although the receptionist at the nurse practitioner's office seemed to think it was possible the NP referred me for both the mammogram and the breast clinic at the same time, regardless of the mammogram outcome.

Nevertheless, I'm now nervous that maybe I misunderstood and maybe things aren't okay. I'm trying to stay calm though. Hoping the best for you!

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like all is clear on your end and that all they were doing was, in fact, setting up a baseline. My guess would be that they are multitasking with your upcoming appt. I wouldn’t read too much into it!

The closer I get to my appt, my anxiety levels rise. It’s nowhere near as bad as it was last year with the ultrasound and mammo. Then I was a wreck, full on panic attacks, daily crying jags, and nonstop doomsday thoughts. The all clear from the 3D mammo was a relief but also a very strange letdown. I think that’s why I am both mad and sad that I’m going through the process all over again. My NP did tell me that the ultrasound repeat is very common and that she often has to call doctors and radiologists to say that this is just this particular patient’s normal boob and to stop flagging the diagnostic findings, usually after 2 years of findings.

I was also bummed out because I received news about the death of a health blogger I follow from BC. It was so random and unexpected and added fuel to my HA fire. I also got my period super early which I’m sure is contributing to my sad/mad outlook. Im trying to stay present minded and acknowledging my emotions when they come up. I also scheduled an appt with my therapist tomorrow so I think I should be good mentally.

Keep me updated on your situation. Sending calming vibes your way!

Quote Originally Posted by MJunderway View Post
    Hello!

Sorry for the funny post title. I went back to the women's clinic this afternoon after having a 6 month ultrasound follow up from two smallish lumps that were seen as hypoechoic. After my first us, I met with a breast surgeon and she advised me to get a mammogram since I had bypassed that step. I had a 3D mammo done and all came back clear. The recommendations were for me to come back the following year for another mammo or to return if anything changed drastically.

I actually requested an us because I thought better safe than sorry. Today's us showed a very slight increase in one of the lumps. I took the info in stride, set up the follow up but found myself to be annoyed by the nurse who shared the info. She seems to be a kind person but also like a women's clinic robot. She mentioned that next week's appointment would be short because the dr wouldn't be performing the biopsy. I corrected her and said "IF a biopsy is seen as the next logical step". She smiled and repeated the same sentence a few minutes later.

Here are my questions for the group: First- has anyone dealt with benign breast lumps that got slightly bigger on subsequent us AND that things still turned out to be ok?

Second: For you ladies who do have benign lumps is this the kind of runaround I can expect each year or at each test?

Third: Maybe I'm getting up in arms about things but doesn't it seem like to med professionals it's no big deal to just get your boobs cut into (I'm not a candidate for a needle biopsy given the location of the lump so I will need to have them surgically removed). Maybe it's just me but I feel that there is this oppressive level of focus on BC here in the US. Like somehow, it's the worst possible thing to happen to a woman is BC. I mean the stats show that women actually have greater rates of heart disease and dementia but those stories always seem to take the back seat to BC. Most of the dementia stories about men losing their mental capabilities but god forbid something happens to a woman's breast!

Anyway, thank you for letting me vent and sharing some insight on the breast lumps. Any and all responses are appreciated!
    I’m not sure what it looks like. However, my sibling had a benign cyst cut out as well. Obviously it’s a worrying thing and a scare but most likely it’s benign. The doctors can tell. Then they’ll biopsy it to make sure once it’s removed.

I’m sure you are fine. She was 19 when she got her cyst.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. I’m going through the process. Nervous because I have HA. I know benign cysts are common. I’m older and every health concern seems to take on greater importance as you age. I was mostly venting because there’s just soooo much emphasis on BC in the US. Even though more women will be diagnosed and/or die from heart disease than BC, yet we have so much media attention on BC and very little on heart disease. At no point have I been asked about my heart health, and I even have family history with the disease! It just feels unbalanced somehow.

Thanks for responding. I’m working hard to keep my anxiety in check and go into the appointment both with an open mind and critical one to push back on anything that feels weird or fearmonger-y.

Thank you! Calming vibes to you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MJunderway View Post
    Hi!

Thank you for your reply. I’m going through the process. Nervous because I have HA. I know benign cysts are common. I’m older and every health concern seems to take on greater importance as you age. I was mostly venting because there’s just soooo much emphasis on BC in the US. Even though more women will be diagnosed and/or die from heart disease than BC, yet we have so much media attention on BC and very little on heart disease. At no point have I been asked about my heart health, and I even have family history with the disease! It just feels unbalanced somehow.

Thanks for responding. I’m working hard to keep my anxiety in check and go into the appointment both with an open mind and critical one to push back on anything that feels weird or fearmonger-y.

That's it too. So much attention and media is created focused on these health crisis. They are terrible diseases don't get me wrong. My family member passed because of alzheimers a while back. However, companies and organizations do make money off of research for these causes which drive ADs and media.

Keep your head up! How's everything now?

Thanks for the reply! My anxiety is definitely high this morning. I got a call from the Drs letting me know that there were cancellations and did I want to move my appt up to earlier in the day (it was originally scheduled for 2:00 PM EST). I said sure and moved it up to 11. While I was taking a shower I started thinking that maybe there weren't cancellations and that the dr wanted to do a biopsy right then and there. I realize it's catastrophic/paranoid thinking but it's where I am right now. I'll be headed in soon and will have more info after meeting with the dr.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and encouragement!

So, met with the new breast surgeon. She reviewed my mammos (all the way back to 2011), my 4 ultrasounds, and looked over the notes from the previous breast surgeon and she's sticking with the original recommendations which are annual mammos and bi-yearly ultrasounds. She also let me know that I am a candidate for a needle biopsy, if the needs ever arose but she did not recommend it at this time. She thinks one of the lumps actually got smaller. They are solid though, so not cysts.

I'm feeling good about meeting with her. She seems solid and trustworthy. Not at all pushy or authoritative like some drs I have met with, my least favorite kind of dr. I have my annual scheduled for late November. I'll cut myself some slack if I start to get anxious around that time but since I have a long due vacation prior to that, I'm hoping to be more relaxed in general.

Thanks again for kind thoughts and support!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information