Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast lump concerns and musings

Re: Breast lump concerns and musings

Great news!

I'm so sorry you are on this roller coaster too!

I have a breast cyst they've been following since 2016, a little over two years now. Surgeon wants to follow it for 3 years so potentially 1 more year of this insanity! I too get yearly mammo and bi annual ultrasounds. Seems like standard practice.

I'm frustrated with my current breast surgeon, but at this point she's the third person to say this is likely just a cyst and nothing more. I'm annoyed that it hasn't gone away on its own, but even I have to admit she's right when she says "cancer doesn't act like this" (staying the same for 2 years, fluid instead of solid, etc).

In the US people take no chances with boob lumps it seems and while I'm happy to be followed so closely it is frustrating when you reach that point where you just want someone to tell you it's benign but instead they keep "following up". Argh.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Also we should all tape this article to our bathroom mirrors!!

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20091120

Hi!

Thanks for your kind follow up replies! Ktdid2000, thank you so much for this article! I think the moderators should consider making this one of those sticky posts. Or have you added it to the breast exam sticky post threads? If not, please do so!

I now have another female health issue which is either an ovarian cyst or yet another peri menopause symptom. It’s kind of embarrassing and just happened with this cycle, so I may wait for one more cycle before posting. Sigh, I just wish for a symptom-free month to catch my breath!

Joining in to this thread i hope its okay
    I just booked a GP appointment for my lump today i have it on tuesday, i’m nervous. I already had mine checked 2 years ago and i was told it was fine but lately it’s been worrying me a bit more again so i thought i’d go get it checked again. Mine hasn’t changed in the slightest in 2 years which i guess its good but what gets me is that its hard and doesn’t move (which i know!! They always say is a bad sign :( ) but like i said 2 years ago they did an ultrasound and said it was benign. And i mean i’m 23 so what are the chances... but i’m still sooo anxious

Hi!

I had an ultrasound a couple of years ago when I first felt the lump and nothing showed up. Then last year it came back as hyperechoic (solid, not fluid). Same thing this year. They are still keeping it as a "wait and see" scenario even with those changes. I'm 47 btw.

I think given your age and that you've had a previous US that came back as nothing to be concerned about, you should be in a good place. Check out the boob lump article link that poster, Ktdid2000 shared. It's really helpful and calming. Hope all goes well at your appt!

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20091120

Oh it makes me feel better someone else had a solid lump that was fine i’ve read the link as well thanks!
    I just had my GP appointment and he said he can actually feel another one in my other boob that feels very similar (i cant feel that one even now when i try) which i find quite amusing for some reason rather than scary. He also said it doesnt feel sinister and its not unusual that it didnt disappear but obviously we can only be sure if i get it tested so he referred me to an ultrasound and it’s already in 2 days! So at least it will be done fast
    But he was pretty reassuring he said that to his knowledge cancer would change in size in 2 years and even more in consistency basically wouldnt stay the same and even the ultrasound he wasnt like “you need to get it again” but he more asked me if i would like to so it made me feel like it was more my choice not urgent (although he said its responsible to do after 2 years but he thinks its not sinister). So i’m nervous about my hospital appointment but i think most people would be, i’m not freaking out though i’m feeling pretty okay about it

Hello! Rereading my old threads for reassurance. I'm coming up on my 2nd 6th month ultrasound appt. I had a 3D mammogram in Dec and everything was all clear. I randomly found a "lump" in my armpit on the same side as my breast cyst. Needless to say it set off my HA. I have been doing daily work with something called Heart Math and an online CBT program. While I am still struggling with HA, both of these things have helped reduced the amount of anxiety I experience.

The armpit lump is frightening to me because I don't know if it is something to be concerned about or not. However, I can see with greater clarity how much pain (physical and mental) anxiety is causing me. How much time and energy I give over to it is also pretty eye opening. I don't have anything else other than this fear and clarity. It sucks but I'm moving forward with my appt and trusting my doc. Thanks for letting me share this!

Well, there's a rare and intelligent thing, someone going back to read their thread for reassurance - credit to you !

Sounds like you are doing an absolutely sterling job, and putting in lots of effort, into controlling your anxieties. So, you get double stars so far today. Joking aside, when is your next appointment ? and yes, do mention the 'random lump of course.

Thank you for your kind support! My appt is on Monday. I have all of my notes ready. Of course, I can’t find the armpit lump anymore which is a good thing, I guess? Post-anxiety fallout has been pretty painful but I made myself go outside and walk because it’s very nice weather today. And I’m taking things slow. So, getting closer to tackling the monster that is anxiety. Thank you again for your reply!

Ps. Will still mention armpit lump(s) even if this one is still gone. I’m also going to ask what should I consider a concern and what can I overlook.
    Last edited by MJunderway; 16-05-19 at 21:38. Reason: Additional thoughts

Went in for my u/s today. Struggling with general panic about this and health in general (family members, in this case). U/s tech was focusing on an area higher up than I remember but it was almost 9 months since my last u/s, so who knows how accurate my memory was. The armpit lump totally disappeared before today's appointment, so that's a reduction in panic for me.

I met with the kind but weirdly robotic nurse who is essentially the gate keeper between the admin staff, the techs, the drs, and the radiologists. I went in to remind her that I have pretty severe HA and to not call me with any follow up results as I already have a follow up app scheduled with the breast surgeon. She noted that in my chart and I headed home. I'm going to keep things low key so that I can get back into a less anxious headspace. My thinking (right or wrong) is that if anything is out of the ordinary for this lump then they will move my appt up with the breast surgeon sooner. I wish my appt with the surgeon was sooner but I wasn't able to schedule anything until mid-June. When I meet with her, I'm going to have a frank discussion about how debilitating my anxiety is and can we find another way to handle this moving forward.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information