Quote Originally Posted by mn_guy View Post
As someone getting over a rabies fear, I agree with this sentiment. The whole point (I assumed) of an anxiety forum was to post what your symptoms of anxiety were to get support from others who have been through something similar. When I posted my story, I was reasonably sure that my fears were overblown and that I was suffering from anxiety (or else I would have posted on patient.info or some other non-anxiety medical forum). I realize the chances of getting rabies is very small to infinitesimal without a recognized animal bite. People not in the US should be aware, though, that our media and CDC government agency actively put out overblown statements warning about undetected bites and getting bitten in your sleep. If you are already inclined to anxiety, reading some of the stuff online can easily send your anxiety into a tailspin. Posting here for support and being told "that's an absurd fear and you're an idiot for worrying about it" may be technically correct but not exactly helpful.
It's something I find odd. This argument about probability which is this sense appears to attempt to validate more commonly expected diseases when in the case of each neither have the symptoms or exposure. It's sometimes a "worry about the more likely" which is flawed when there are many more likely diseases/conditions to have than the cancers seen to be more acceptable

As a non HAer I sometimes wonder given these views how the majority of the anxiety spectrum is viewed by those holding these beliefs when the vast majority of the spectrum cannot harm you in any way. Agoraphobia doesn't kill anyone but it's just as bad as any other fear can be.

But then I find such views are limited to some people only and are not representative of NMP.

Frequency is mentioned. At work you can spend much of your time dealing with repetitive queries. Do people groan at their customer? It's a lack of patience.

It's understandable that on a forum dealing with lots of emotion that things like this happen. Admin have told us all plenty of times how to avoid frustration over this issue but it keeps happening. Anxiety can sap your patience, you can snap easily. But others would do well to remember that they could be raising a thread that is viewed by others in the same way.

I spent over a year attending weekly walk in groups and never witnessed any of this. It suggests a lack of governance, something the internet is well known for when it comes to emboldening those would think twice in person. That has certainly been well proven when it comes to arguments on the forum.