Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you think you have Rabies.....

Re: So you think you have Rabies.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rbvdk View Post
    Hey I don't know anything about rabies at all but my fiance has a big fear of it and although he's mostly gotten over it, he still gets panic attacks about it sometimes. I think he gets worried when he feels overly tired or has a headache (I'm not sure, I don't know the symptoms). His biggest worry is that our cats could be carrying it one day (we live near a woods so I think that might be why) and when they get their claws out when they're on our knees or whatever, and scratch him, that it could pass on to him. He's not worried about the wild animal part because we don't go to the woods and haven't been near any. I just feel bad for him because I don't know how to reassure him and he gets worried for days sometimes wondering if he's getting the symptoms yet. He avoids the cats clawing him but it must still happen occasionally as he still gets the panic attacks so I'm assuming he's worrying about his symptoms because he's been scratched? Because I don't know anything about rabies, does anyone have advice on how I can help and reassure him about how it's not possible for our cats to ever get rabies? We live in big town in England so I don't see it as possible at all even with the woods, but I know from my own experience that fears can be irrational. Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice and thanks for this post I'll show it to him next time he's worried.
    That is sad to hear. Perhaps you should show your fiance this thread but, then again, no facts or reassurance will help those with a severe case of anxiety. The mind wiull simply not be at ease for someone. The fact that rabies does not exist in the UK or that you can not get rabies from a healthy pet animal should be fact that the googløe hypocondriac should know, but I guess they always overlook the reassuring facts.
    So either you should not have a cat; although I think that will just be surrendering to his irrationality. He should seek out professional help for his anxiety. I dont really know what else to say about that.

Thanks for replying and understanding. I'm not sure if he knows it doesnt exist in the UK but I'll show him that too next time. Thanks again, hopefully he can get some help if it starts getting too bad again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbvdk View Post
    Thanks for replying and understanding. I'm not sure if he knows it doesnt exist in the UK but I'll show him that too next time. Thanks again, hopefully he can get some help if it starts getting too bad again.
    You need to be straigh foreward with him. Stand up and say loud and clearly hey, you do have a serious problem. But your problem is not rabies, it is your anxiety and you need help for it!

I find it so sad to see someone else afraid of their own pet! I am a huge animal lover so this sudden fear is driving me nuts. I try to laugh at it when possible - take a look at the irrationality of it and try to turn it into a joke, because most people looking in indeed think it is so absurd it is laughable (with good reason, I know that deep down!)

Tonight something hit and stung my hand when I took my dog outside. My first thought: a bat. A bat that somehow dive bombed me, left no mark on my hand other than a stinging sensation, and somehow avoided me seeing or hearing it when my hand was right in front of me

I mean, I clearly know it is irrational because I am already wondering how I'm going to bring this issue up with my doctor tomorrow without sounding like a total lunatic.

I doubt it would help him, Rbvdk, but he should realize in shelters people are getting scratched by cats all the time - sometimes cats fresh off the streets I was one of those people. Today it would probably scare me considering my current frame of mind, but back when it happened I thought nothing of it other than that it stung! Oh how I wish I still had THAT frame of mind right now!

So, I'm trying to stay positive and get over this, but I finally had my doctor's appointment today and it just made things worse.

When I asked her about my rabies fears (about my rabbit who suddenly passed and may or may not have scratched me in the days prior to his death) she started asking questions and didn't seem certain, and ended it with "Well, I wouldn't worry about it at this point."

And I'm thinking: Uhm, if it actually was a concern I can't worry about it LATER it'd need to be addressed right now. So, yes, I am back to square one, or perhaps even worse, because I was not anticipating her to act uncertain. She did say she has sent people in for rabies shots before but "isn't concerned about mine at the moment".

Quote Originally Posted by Crevan View Post
    So, I'm trying to stay positive and get over this, but I finally had my doctor's appointment today and it just made things worse.

When I asked her about my rabies fears (about my rabbit who suddenly passed and may or may not have scratched me in the days prior to his death) she started asking questions and didn't seem certain, and ended it with "Well, I wouldn't worry about it at this point."

And I'm thinking: Uhm, if it actually was a concern I can't worry about it LATER it'd need to be addressed right now. So, yes, I am back to square one, or perhaps even worse, because I was not anticipating her to act uncertain. She did say she has sent people in for rabies shots before but "isn't concerned about mine at the moment".
    I've seen many posts about doctors appearing less confident than we would expect. I think you need to be careful of mind reading because for all we know your doctor may have been having their own bad day and may not be on the ball as normal with their people skills. That doesn't mean their analytical skills aren't though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I've seen many posts about doctors appearing less confident than we would expect. I think you need to be careful of mind reading because for all we know your doctor may have been having their own bad day and may not be on the ball as normal with their people skills. That doesn't mean their analytical skills aren't though.
    Thank you, Terry. We are waiting for blood work and will be discussing therapy and/or medications after any possible health concern is ruled out of causing my sudden anxiety spikes. I just can't seem to get this out of my head. I know if she had any doubts about it she would have sent me for shots.

I came across this post (after finding a scratch on my face and thinking some invisible ninja bat bit me in my sleep!), and omg! this is what I've been trying to tell myself all day and hearing it from another person on a health anxiety forum is honestly what I think I needed to hear. Thank you!!! op you are a mensch!

Just to add to the original sticky. If it’s an anaimal that you’re familiar with or that you see often, after ten days of your worrying about possibly rabies transmission that animal is still alive, it never had rabies.

For example- You have a wild cat around the house and you feed it or pet it. Say it scratches you(not a possible way for transmission by the way. Or awfully very rare, though it doesn’t stop the worry). If you still see that animal after ten days alive, it doesn’t have rabies. The animal could have rabies, but it’s only transmitted during the time of presenting symptoms.

Lots of times with animals caught by animal catchers(cats and dogs) there is a waiting period they keep them caged(10 days) if they are alive after that the animal is fine.

Thanks for this post. I think so many people get rabies fear because it's so terminal and something that can be prevented - but of course for us with HA, we want to go to any measures to prevent it! If I listened to my HA, I would have had the jabs 3 times in the last 4 months - all for impossible situations. I am travelling, so do need to be wary of stray dogs, but in México (where I am at the moment) dog rabies is virtually non existent. I still worry after being around (people's pets) dogs though. It's a very OTT fear, but I guess it is because the illness is so scary. And it is overhyped in Western media. My advice would be to do as much ERP as possible, I try to sit with my friends dogs as much as I can now and ignore any compulsions. Any time a rabies thought pops into my head I try to immediatley relabel it as an OCD thought. If anyone is getting a lot of thoughts like this it might be useful to look at getting some CBT for OCD as most HA is a form of OCD. It's a rollercoaster journey, but I know I am improving and I hope everyone else does too

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information