Thread: 10 weeks on citalopram, need advice!!

10 weeks on citalopram, need advice!!

Please can I have some advice I’m desperate! I’ve been on citalopram for 10 weeks following my dad having a heart attack and losing my job my panic has decreased but I honestly don’t feel anything, I don’t feel sad and I don’t feel happy I don’t feel excited I do t get adrenaline rushes literally blunt. Ive just getting back from a week holiday In Spain and normally I’d be on top of the world and really enjoying it even with the anxiety. But I wasint really bothered I was there I could’ve been there or home and would’ve been in the same mood. I’ve been told the ssri works quite slow but I’m starting to think I’d rather go back to what I was before the tablets and feel down some days but actually get highs out of life also and just to be able to feel and be human again! My doctor has urged me to stay on but I’m getting really fed up I just want my life back!! Any advice would be appreciated and I’d be grateful!

Re: 10 weeks on citalopram, need advice!!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

what mg are you on? perhaps you need to go up a dose

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Aright sorry about that and 20 mg

20mg is the therapeutic dose, however, Citalopram is not a cure. What else are you doing to restore good mental health? Some kind of counselling or CBT should also be on the cards. The Citalopram has simply allowed you to operate.

Hello.
    It takes citalopram considerable time to work and there will be ups-and-downs along the way. I suggest staying with it for at least another 4-6 weeks. If there is no further reduction in anxiety after that, then discuss with your GP about increasing the dosage or switching to another SSRI.

As @solly recommended, you should consider adding counselling or CBT. Personally, I found that Mindfulness help me.

You can also look into lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, relationships, etc.) not just revert to old feelings and activities.

I felt like this too, maybe after a little less than 10 weeks though. I was pleased the panic had subsided but I was left feeling incredibly empty - I remember staring at food in the fridge and even thinking "I don't even like the taste of anything any more"
    It was an odd time but it passed. It certainly indicated to me that things were changing in my brain, the good days started to come very soon afterwards x

Thread Information