Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pupil size difference

Re: Pupil size difference

You have seen actual medical professionals who have told you there is no need for a scan. This is worth more than a doctor online who can't check you over themselves. Plus, it's very easy for them to suggest a scan for a patient that isn't their's so they therefore don't have to justify. They have essentially suggested it to cover their arse on someone elses money. Trust your doctor. They are the one who has your best interests in mind.

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

I have the same thing. Usually in a morning or at night. Sometimes one pupil bigger than another and somedays you can notice it quite a bit. During the day in a day light they seem fine. Went to a doctor, both eyes react normal to the light. I noticed it about a year and a half ago and occasionally when I notice again it sends me into this freak out mode :/

Likewise, i have this as well. I have seen a few eye doctors, and none have expressed concern given otherwise normal tests. In my case, i suspect it is because i have irritated my eyes due to other health conditions (diagnosed sleep apnea which cause diagnosed floppy eyelid syndrome). Since treating my apnea my eye health has greatly improved, but the uneven pupils remain. It still freaks me out to see, but sine it doesn't seem to cause any harm, i can deal with it at this point.

20% of the population have uneven pupil sizes. It’s a thing that can occur normally. Check old photos and you will probably see you’ve always had it and are only just noticing it. Also if you pay attention while watching tv a lot of people have this.

It’s only a cause for concern if it’s a huge different (one pupil completely dilated and the other not) or if they don’t react to light.

I have this also and have seen a neurologist about it . It’s totally normal and is called physiological anisocoria . I was so stressed when I first noticed it but a lot of people have this and unless you focus on it you wouldn’t notice . As long as your pupils react to light you are fine .

It is Always good to seek medical advice , which you have done and they have reassured you .

This was a big one for me too, but it turned out to be nothing, I think it's natural for one to be slightly larger than the other. My left one is always slightly bigger than my right but it reacts normal to light

Been there, done that, spent days crying over it convinced I was dying of a brain tumour.

GP did a neuro exam and wasn't in the least bit worried. My pupil sizes are still different, it's still nothing.

I have this too, have had for years.
    I spoke to my Optician whilst having my eyes tested and she said a third of the population have uneven pupils.
    Nothing to worry about.

I have noticed the same thing about 2 years ago. It’s always in dimmer light either early in the morning or at night. Sometimes it’s my left eye and sometimes it’s my right. It freaks me out every time. They do react to light and both shrink if I look at the light or point the light to the eye. I did go to a doc because I also have eye flashes always in one eye whenever I get worked up or excited, or sneeze or yawn. Had an mri but it was a brief one that checked my blood vessels and arteries in the head. Worried if they missed something and should have spend more time performing a scan or do a one with contrast. The mri came back normal. My flashes stopped for about 6 months but then returned. I am beyond anxious all the time and I’m sure that doesn’t help it. Eyes still freak me out whenever I notice them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information