Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back again with another worry

Back again with another worry

The last few months I have been having an IBS flare up with severe constipation. Went to my GP who ordered stool sample tests which were fine. The last few weeks the pain has moved into the pelvic region with a draggy like pain like a premenstrual pain. Went back again to GP and have been referred for an ultrasound and CA125 blood test. Obviously the HA ramped up again and I’m fearing Ovarian Cancer, I’m at the age when this is more likely (61). I had a similar scare 4 years ago which turned out ok but of course I’m expecting the worse. Hoping someone on here can relate. Thanks

Re: Back again with another worry

Just wondering- similar in what way? And what tests did you have done then (because 4 years ago is not very long in cancer terms..). It is much more likely to be your IBS (I get the impression these symptoms are not unfamiliar to you? Of course your dr is right to investigate- and hopefully it will give you peace of mind.
    The odds are in your favour

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes 4 years ago I had a Ca125 blood test, and scan of the ovaries due to a bid cycle bleed. I’ve suffered from IBS for 40years but worry about ignoring symptoms just in case they are something more serious. I’m my own worst enemy really. Hopefully the test over the next few weeks will offer some reassurance ! X

I'm sure these combined tests will help you dismiss the OC fears. I've had all this myself and have a diagnosis of IBS/constipation. When I had my internal scan the doctor said that she mostly scanned people who ended up being diagnosed with IBS because the symptoms were similar.

I'm roughly your age and to be honest the GPs have to test for everything "just to be on the safe side" which is not helpful when you have HA. When you get older you have to prepare yourself for tests which younger people may not get referred for but we do because we are all classified as being in the "at risk" bracket.

I hope you can get your tests out the way asap and then you can get some reassurance re OC. Of course the bigger picture is that you need to stop being triggered by symptoms which you read about and then develop yourself. It's a minefield online..

Hi Pulisa thank you for replying. I hate this health anxiety which has definitely been made worse by the easy access to Dr Google and the posts on social media. It’s the thought that as you get older the ‘symptoms’ might actually turn out to have a scary cause - not just IBS. You hear so many people say if only I cwent to the dr when the symptoms started etc that makes you ( me) want to get them checked for reassurance. The older I get I feel the more chance that this time it will be the worst case scenario. I’m very good at reassuring others though!!

Aren't we all?!! I've recently had 3 fast track referrals in 3 months because I'm "old" but it's been good exposure therapy. Have the tests and try to move on from fearing the worst? We can't predict the future and have no control over developing sinister conditions but if you are fortunately healthy it's a waste of time to fear the what ifs and worst case scenarios. We should just be grateful for our health and feel for those who haven't been so fortunate without necessarily thinking that we'll go down the same route?

Hi. That’s a really good sentiment. I will really try. Thanks xx

At least with HA you have a choice-try to get better or stay as you are and move on to the next fear. When you are diagnosed with an illness you don't have a choice-you have to face the illness and all its consequences.

I hope you get that reassurance from the tests and then make the choice to get betterxx

Update

Just to update on my post last week. I bit the bullet and went down to the Drs to get my blood results. All were absolutely fine, including the CA125 , which was the one I was worried about! Still doesn’t explain the symptoms but hopefully will manage a good nights sleep tonight. Thanks

Re: Update

That’s great news hope you are feeling better soon x

- C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information