Thread: Indigestion on sertraline?

Indigestion on sertraline?

I’ve been taking sertraline for 10 weeks now and I do find it’s helping me, but I’ve been having awful indigestion. It started when I went up to 100mg (I was nauseous and then started to get the indigestion and acid reflux) and now I’ve been at 150mg for 3 weeks and it doesn’t seem to be going away ... if anything I think it’s getting worse. I have a constant pain in my chest, lump in my throat and burping.
    Did anyone else experience this with sertraline? Did it go away? Or did you find an effective way to deal with it? I can’t take antacids every day. I already did one course of Prilosec which helped but it came back.

Re: Indigestion on sertraline?

Ok I’ll answer my own question. ...

I’d been breaking my tablets in half to get 150mg. So I switched to taking 3 50mg tablets instead and the indigestion has gone.

Just wanted to update I’m case anyone else comes here with the same question.

Hey Baillie, I used to get acid reflux/heart burn sometimes, and occasionally severe. My tablets say to swallow with a glass of water, which I dutifully ignored! I’d maybe have a few sips to swallow the pills and that’d be it. I then did a google search and found out that tablets can occasionally sit just above the entrance to the stomach and start to dissolve, irritating the oesophagus and causing the feeling of heart burn.

Since then I’ve always had a full drink with my tablets and I’ve not had a repeat of the symptoms.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by little scientist View Post
    I then did a google search and found out that tablets can occasionally sit just above the entrance to the stomach and start to dissolve, irritating the oesophagus and causing the feeling of heart burn.

Since then I’ve always had a full drink with my tablets and I’ve not had a repeat of the symptoms.
    Very interesting...

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information