Thread: I'm back here after about 6 years away.. things aren't great.

I'm back here after about 6 years away.. things aren't great.

Hello,

If your reading this I just want to thank you. Now to begin I need to give you a little bit of back story. When I was a teenager let's say 18, I'm 26 now, I went to a theatre show in London(super scary one) and it triggered a 'fear anxiety' I left the theatre early but would continue to have flash backs/anxiety attacks for around 6 months after all based on the fact I thought something was trying to come and get me.

I actually stopped being so bad after a year or so but anxiety had made its mark and I continued to battle with health anxiety for some time after. Anyway, I got better, stronger and I found peace. I became very spiritual and meditation helped me the most.

The last month or so I feel like I've slipped back into my old way. I suffered with a bought of depression for a week and my anxiety went through the roof. I've been experiencing work stress and relationship stress which most likely triggered it. Last night and this morning I had the biggest anxiety attack I can recall(although the ones when I was 18 were pretty much identical.)

I'd watched a horror film a few nights before (I have done lots of times, I love horrors) but it appears to have triggered me in the exact same way it did when I was 18? A sense of completely dread and doom came over me and I couldn't get rid of it. My anxiety rocketed and I lost track of time the only thing I could focus on was getting my mind back to a safe place, which after going out for a while and lots of rationalising it did. I'd say the whole thing lasted maybe 3/4 hours.

I of all people know how utterly ridiculous these thoughts are but I am left very shaken. I have an incredible support network and work colleagues but I don't feel as though I can tell them I have anxiety over a horror film I couldn't shake off.

I'm now wondering if what I experienced today was anxiety or more like PTSD from my younger years.has anyone experienced anything like this before? Can you give me ant advice?

Truly, thank you.

Re: I'm back here after about 6 years away.. things aren't great.

Was it The Woman In Black??

Hi Jellybeann24,

I have had my Anxiety return in full force for the last few days due to a week of stress so I guess stress can cause you to slip back into those anxious ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Was it The Woman In Black??
    Lol that was my first thought too. I saw that 25 years ago and I still get shudders down my spine.

Well, is it so different to be scared half to death by a real life event e.g. a crash? A seriously heightened sense of fear that should dissipate as we reconcile it and get back to normality yet with some of us it sticks and becomes a disorder. PTSD can affect one person yet not another despite the exact same scenario.

I can say that at my worst I would find exciting TV programmes or films triggering. But even later sometimes I was just in a strange sort of mood and something affected me for a while afterwards.

Sometimes things just get under your skin and perhaps if you are already not feeling 100% it crowbars it's way in and heaves for all it's might?

Thread Information