Thread: Lunesta (Eszopiclone)

Lunesta (Eszopiclone)

Hi,

I'm currently looking at different sleep meds and came across this.

Has anyone taken it before and how did they find it?

It's sposed to be licensed for long term use as compared to normal zopiclone which is only for short term use.

Jim

Re: Lunesta (Eszopiclone)

I asked my GP about this today, but he couldn't find any information about it anywhere. It may be that it's not yet liscenced in the UK.

He's going to get in touch with the drug company that manufacture it to find out more information.

Jim

Nope, but sounds good.

Hi Jim,

I tried it and it worked well for sleeping however it tasted awful that can be one of the side effects. I personally prefer Ambien and not the extended release Ambien. Ambien is good (whenever you need it) because it is not a narcotic (neither is Lunesta by the way) because when you urinate it all comes out of your system so you don't feel drowsy the next day. The only bad thing is if you get up during the night it comes out of your system. I would imagine with the extended release Ambien that wouldn't happen. I don't know if Lunesta is extended release or not.

There has been some bad press here lately regarding Ambien of people sleepwalking, driving and things on Ambien here in the States. I personally have never had a problem when I have taken it.

Good luck,

Laura

I looked at Ambien, but that's only licenced for short term use and is sposed to be one of the most addictive.

The thing that interested me about Lunesta was that it could be taken long term. In the trials I read about, after 6 months 60% of the people who were on in reported that there was no reduction in them working due tolerance.

Ambien is sposed to be the quickest acting of all of them, 20 or so minutes after taking it, but also wears off the quickest, I guess that's why they brought out the extended release version. Zopiclone and Lunesta are sposed to be longer acting so there is no extended release version.

Jim

I take an older sleep medication called dalmane. It's been around for a long time. My mother also takes it. I definitely don't take it every night, just when I really need it. I do get a little hang over the next day, but I don't mind that much. It also leaves a little bitter taste in my mouth the next morning but it's not that bad, a lot of drugs do that. It comes in 15 or 30 mg. Usually, I only need 15, but sometimes I take 30. Probably not a real popular sleeping pill but I like it. That and an occasional xanax during the day (not together, of course -you have to make sure of the time in between the two) are great help to me!

Just thought you might like to know my doctor tried to prescribe this for me today but it's not available in this country.

So it's Zopiclone or one of the other 'Z' sleeping pills or Temazepam or the like.

My doctor tried for me.

Karen

Saw my doc today, the manufacturer got back to him and it's definitely not available in the UK. The US and some countries in Europe are the only places.

He recommended Flurazepam instead for me as it has a longer lasting effect. Initially I thought no way, but I'm considering it cause I think the Z drugs are probably just as bad as the benzos.

Jim

Thread Information