Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I keep cancelling Gastroscopy...

I keep cancelling Gastroscopy...

Hi All,
    I've just cancelled YET another Gastroscopy- this is seriously my 5th one since my first one was booked a year ago!!
    Anyone else do this?
    I haven't had any major stomach issues for a while so not sure I needed it, the Gastro initially said I didn't need one and then I got H Pylori and he said the only way to know what's happening is to do one.
    I book it and then the Friday roles around before the appointment on Monday and I freak out and cancel. NOW of course i'm worried I'm living with cancer or something ... so I've booked it bloody again!

Anyone else to do this? How do you overcome that fear - it's really strong for me....

Re: I keep cancelling Gastroscopy...

I have a continuously gassy and miserable stomach. It goes for two or three weeks where I am a wind farm pretty much no matter what I eat. Then it tapers off and mellows out.

I keep thinking I should go it, not out of worry, but out of dealing with it and maybe finding out why I am so gassy (I suspect anxiety, not health anxiety, but generalized). But just when I start to think it is time to go in, I taper off, get better for a week or two.

So, I am not so much cancelling any tests--I don't mind medical testing overmuch, I take it in stride--I do generally hate going to the doctor and seem to be able to blow this particular problem off well, maybe better than I should.

You just have to bite the bullet and do the scope. I have had 4 since March 2017 and they really are not bad at sll.

Or perhaps you are avoiding it because you know that you don't really need it

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    Or perhaps you are avoiding it because you know that you don't really need it
    That was my thought. I know, no matter how unpleasant the procedure or test, if you're really sick, you don't care about anything other than feeling better so the fear or apprehension go by the wayside.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I think your doctor would be very concerned if you kept cancelling and he/she thought you really needed to have one done for urgent diagnostic purposes.

Yeah my Dr hasn't even mentioned it to me but me going to the Gastro was self referred, my Dr didn't think I needed to go, so yes see this is the thing, Do I really need it?
    Would the Gastro Dr be telling me I really needed it and to stop cancelling if he thought it was necessary? I have booked another time to see him in October, again this constant need for reassurance....

Is there any point re-booking it when you will most likely cancel it again?

If you thought you REALLY needed it then you would go and get it done so I suspect you don't.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I know, I hear you - the Gastro said it's a good idea to get it done so he can see what's happening as I did have H Pylori back in March ... but I kept cancelling. He's never really told me I had to get it, I don't think he think I need it either but just for reassurance but now.. my anxiety mind goes ... 'what if' - what if I do have cancer - I could fight it, if I get it early enough! It's a never ending worst case scenario with logic built in there that causes chaos.

Well March is 6 months ago so do you feel you are worse and need it now?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information