Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breathing & Coughing issues, need common sense help please

Breathing & Coughing issues, really worried about COPD

Hi, I'm posting again :/ I thought I was doing good, then I got a cold & my husband left to go help in restoration from Hurricane Florence.
    So, I've been coughing. Nothing I've never seen before. But the other night I heard wheezing when I laid down. It went away. Then today I heard a wheeze when I inhaled deeply (but not on exhale). I kept trying to hear it again....eventually I did. Once. I've sense been concentrating on my breathing non stop. I even looked up ways to test your lungs & respiration through holding your breath for a certain length of time. Silly I know. I did pass though.
    Lol
    I always have more HA when my husband is away.
    I think because I'm all my kids have and the anxiety of something happening to me.
    Anyhow to wrap it up.....I went on a 4.5 mile brisk walk with a friend. No wheezing or weird breathing. Can I take this as reassurance that I'm getting caught up in my HA and that I probably don't have COPD or something?
    Btw, I know I can only get medical advise from a doctor. I just need a dose of common sense Im hoping. Usually my husband would be my sanity when I can't find my own.
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Heather1234; 16-09-18 at 03:43.

Re: Breathing & Coughing issues, need common sense help please

Now im.completely freaked out. I just woke myself up by wheezing :( it went away once I got up, but I'm really worried now.

Poor you and well done to your husband! Like you say certainly can’t offer medical advice, but it doesn’t sound serious and does perhaps sound like something you are familiar with?
    Do you have asthma? Or have you had a virus recently?

(Not sure my last response went through, so trying agsin) He is pretty great, even though I know it has to be annoying.
    I had a cold that started last Thursday. I dot have asthma that I know of. I did have a very stuffy nose when I woke up from the wheeze as well.

---------- Post added at 07:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 ----------

Let me eloborate, dealing with me is annoying I'm sure. Not the hurricane restoration work. He loves helping with that. I just reread what put, and realized I wasn't clear.

I can't seem to kick this anxiety. I actually ordered a peak flow meter. Ut it wont come until Monday. Ugh....
    I still have sinus congestion. Could that be the cause.
    My fear comes from my HA but also bc I'm a former smoker :( I'm so worried about COPD, but don't have the money to see the doc. Plus that scares me too. I feel like im losing it :( I don't usually feel short of breath, but I've been so obseseed with it, I think I'm making it worse.

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Update: I just talked to an onine dr about my symptoms. He thinks it's anxiety.

Hi Heather - UK calling!
    I am the same as you - my wife is on hols with her mother and my agoraphobia keeps me home - but as soon as she goes my HA starts up - I am asthmatic so my dread is a chest issue that the asthma will magnify - bottom line is both of us know that we don't get sick as soon we are alone - but we both feel the symptoms and have the anxieties. I have already made a docs appointment for Monday because of my breathing - rationally I know I am wasting his time but my fears feel real.
    I hope you start feeling ok soon - do you know when he will be back?
    Chris

Yes, I spoke to a pulmonary dr. He was quite confident it was anxiety.
    That should put me at ease right? Ugh....I hate health anxiety. I got advise to block all medical sites from my phone. Should have done it :/
    Anyhow, not sure when he will be back. Could be a week or two. It just depend on how fast they can get power restored.
    I'm sorry you are going through this too. I truly understand.

My bet is that the sinus issue you have is very minor but it feeds your anxiety - it is horrible but deep down we both know the reality is that anxiety triumphs easily over rationality with us.
    Keep smiling and feel free to chat - it helps me even if it is just a temporary distraction
    Where in the US are you?

Yes, I've dealt with allergies my entire life, I've definitely had worse sinus issues. But the logical part of my brain checked out a cpl days ago.lol
    I'm in Florida. What part of the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1234 View Post
    Yes, I spoke to a pulmonary dr. He was quite confident it was anxiety.
    That should put me at ease right? Ugh....I hate health anxiety. I got advise to block all medical sites from my phone. Should have done it :/
    Anyhow, not sure when he will be back. Could be a week or two. It just depend on how fast they can get power restored.
    I'm sorry you are going through this too. I truly understand.
    Why do you have a pulmonary doctor?
    What you are describing doesn't sound like anxiety. It sounds like asthma. Anxiety doesn't cause wheezing.

I had something very similar happening about a year and a half ago. I was coughing for months after every cold, and would wheeze occasionally.

It turned out that I was diagnosed with asthma (adult onset, as I never had it as a child). Colds exacerbate mine, and I have also learned that mold does, too (we just had a leak come through the roof and mold grew overnight and I had the worst asthma attack/wheezing fit I've ever had!!)

Personally, I think you should not just dismiss this as anxiety but check to see if it is asthma, especially if you are going to have a panic every time you wheeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information