Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SVT episode looking for other’s experiences

SVT episode looking for other’s experiences

So this morning while doing some computer work, I felt my heart flip and it was off to the races. I was visiting my parents this weekend and my mom took me to the ER. Had an EKG and confirmed SVT with heart rate between 199-225bpm. Anyway the dr came in and was gonna give me meds to bring it into normal rhythm. But he first tried a carotid massage and that worked. My pulse immediately starting coming down. I’m to follow up with a cardiologist but he said that he has them himself once every 6 months or so. Anyway. I actually feel ok as far as anxiety is concerned but I’m wondering if anyone else has had experience with SVT and how you’ve gotten along. Thanks!!

Re: SVT episode looking for other’s experiences

Supraventricular tachycardia often starts in people aged 25 to 40. I haven't any experience with SVT myself, however I did have an isolated episode of alcohol-induced Fast Atrial Fibrillation. Been fine ever since.

Do you have any idea what, if anything, triggered your episode?

You only need to go to A&E if your episode lasts longer than 30 minutes.

You can try the valsalva manoeuvre – take a deep breath, shut your mouth tight, hold your nose tightly and blow out as hard as you can, should you have another episode...

And also, SVT is not usually serious. Just follow up with your cardiologist and take it from there.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

This episode was still going at 45 minutes when the dr was able to convert it with carotid massage. I am under s good bit more stress at my work and had just gotten over a cold the week before. So I guess those are two things that could have contributed. I have a cardio appt next week.

It's sooo refreshing to see someone on here with SVT. I'm 27 and had my first experience with it when I was 25. I have only had 4 episodes ever if it. And each time it's been after I have had an anxiety attack or a really stressful time. I just recently had an episode a week ago. And it completely scared me and I had a hard time coping with it. When do you see a cardiologist

I see my cardiologist next Tues. The ER dr wasn’t overly concerned because all my other tests were normal. I’m 36 female. But I remember another time when I had something similar but it stopped within a matter of seconds. I’ve had a full heart workup a couple of years ago and everything was good. It’s so weird because I felt it when it started and felt it when it stopped. Almost like a switch. I have high hr from time to time because of anxiety. This is not that. There was no amount of deep breathing I could do it bring this down. It had to be “switched” off. And it when it was I imeediately went back into normal rhythm.

Yes! Episodes are usually very very short. Less than 8 minutes or so. My doctor has told me that I'm healthy and I have nothing to worry about. But the episodes are sooo scary. Especially because it's so unpredictable. Deep breathing tho does sometimes help to come out of it. In the past I just take deep breaths and try as much as I can to relax. And then as soon as it started. I'm right out of it. I wish I could be as nonchalant about it. It stresses me out.

I was terrified when it was going on. Mine lasted close to 45 mins. But something that reassured me was when the ER dr told me he has it about once every 6 months. I don’t know why that relaxed me, but it did. As my cardio appt gets closer though, I know my anxiety will get higher.

Oh another thing the dr told me that made me feel a little better...he said to look at the episode the same as a stress test. He said my heart had just gone through a 45 min extreme stress test and had performed beautifully.

How many episodes have you had of this?

This was my second one. The first one I had was about a year ago but it lasted about 15 secs. As soon as I stood up to start to panic, it flipped back into rhythm. I didn’t really know that’s what it was then. But when this one started I immediately thought back to that time. However, this one didn’t convert back. I tried a couple of things like coughing and straining but that didn’t work. So my mom took me to the ER. This is the first really bad one I’ve had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information