Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acid reflux and effexor?

acid reflux and effexor?

has anyone had acid reflux with this med and did it go away? I have had acid reflux for 4 days now, and I'm wondering if it's from increasing my dosage? I have to keep taking Tums and i'm burping up like crazy.

Re: acid reflux and effexor?

Sometimes when we are anxious we shallow breath and that can some times give us wind heartburn and burping I have suffered heartburn for years and take medication for it so I don't know if it's the ven as I had it before I started it if u read some of the posts from pinkdove some people do say they get h/ b from there meds Take care. Linda xx

Thank you Linda10. I will check out pindove's posts. I've had it an and off for a week now. I really hope it's not the meds.

I had it for a couple of weeks but it went away x

Hi Jem 21,

You had acid reflux with the ven? Can I ask what dose you are on? Good to know it went away!

Bad Acid reflux??

Okay, so I don't really get acid reflux. It takes a lot for me to get it. I started effexor about two months ago and it seems to be helping a bit. Ever since I increased the dose I've had acid reflux. After looking back, I also started running and have been drinking more coffee than usual (I changed coffee brands). Now i find myself taking two tums a day. Does anyone else suffer from acid reflux? The doctor said effexor is not likely to give me acid reflux, but we did raise the dose.
    Has anyone dealt with medication induced acid reflux and did it resolve. What do you take for it? Please help!

Re: Bad Acid reflux??

The running and coffee could definitely be the culprit. I used to have to take tums before runs. I'd try to cut back on the coffee and see if that helps. But running could also definitely be exacerbating it.

Ok, thanks ErinKC. I'm wondering if that's it. I just upped my dose and usually a run an hour or two after taking it. Can acid reflux last over a week (on and off). Yes, i will cut back on the coffee.

Coffee and caffeine in general are huge triggers for reflux.

Yes - it can last a long time if you don't eliminate the cause. I generally don't get reflux either, but will get random flares of it a few times a year if I'm really stressed, drink too much coffee, eat particularly poorly, etc... it can last for several weeks.

It's definitely possible that change in does is causing it and maybe after you adjust it will tone down. Try doing the tums right before you run and avoid coffee for a few days. Also, a bland diet for a few days can help, too - no acidic foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information