Thread: pulse in ear

pulse in ear

i'm so afraid of pulsatile tinnitus. i was afraid i heard something last night and it started to come over me. it's very quiet, it usually seems to be heard from the head rather than the ear itself, and is inconstant (usually i'm certain it is there only in the evenings or when i remember it in a relaxed state). my gp told me that my ear drums are both healthy (she says it is stress hormones and i need a counselor loll- there is def some truth to this because i got new symptoms exactly 3 days before the autumn term starts for the last 2 yrs!)
    but i'm worried it could be vascular.
    my fear stems from my pupils which seem to contract and dilate under the influence of my pulse. i've had a stiff neck and tension headache on the same side since nov 6 2017, and eating anti inflammatory foods e.g. tomatoes seems 2 placate my symptoms. i have pcos & have had some mental health issues for the past 4-8 years
    it's not so much that im afraid of ms or temporal arteritis but it's just so alarming from moment to moment, and i feel horribly paralysed and helpless.. i'd rather it was one thing or another loll xD
    has anybody experienced a pulse in their ear? did u find resolution? how did you cope and get better?
    thank u xx

Re: pulse in ear

mocata,

Often, no cause can be found for pulsatile tinnitus. I know you probably read online that it's associated with nasty things (which it can be), but these are quite unusual on the grand scheme of things.

Does the pulsating come and go or is it constant? I have had a few episodes of it, which come and go.

If your GP has given you the once over, I'd not worry about it too much.

Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

I have felt pulse in my ear on the left side many times. Sometimes just for a bit and sometimes for a few nights in a row (but not 24/7).

First, just cross temporal arteritis off your "list". That's one of the many, many pretend diseases my anxiety had convinced me of in the past, although I think it was a different symptom that led me to that ill-advised Google diagnosis. Temporal arteritis is virtually impossible at a young age (you mentioned term so I assume university?). I believe I had read only 12 documented cases under 50 years old. Of course that was before I had a handle on my anxiety so I didn't let that stop me from fretting! lol

I doubt it's anything serious like vascular or MS either. I have had it, and I'm perfectly fine (well not perfect I guess, I do have vestibular issues and perhaps it's related) but I don't have any serious diseases or threats! If the doctor doesn't think anything of it then I don't recommend you thinking anything of it either.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

It's interesting that you said your symptoms have hit at the same time of year twice. There could be a seasonal component to it, maybe some kind of allergy or migraine situation? And maybe exacerbated by the stress?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    mocata,

Often, no cause can be found for pulsatile tinnitus. I know you probably read online that it's associated with nasty things (which it can be), but these are quite unusual on the grand scheme of things.

Does the pulsating come and go or is it constant? I have had a few episodes of it, which come and go.

If your GP has given you the once over, I'd not worry about it too much.

Good luck!
    thank u for your words! it comes and goes across the evening. im not sure if pulsing is wholly accurate, it seems to be part of a faint wave over the back of the head & i struggle to differentiate it from external sounds

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    I have felt pulse in my ear on the left side many times. Sometimes just for a bit and sometimes for a few nights in a row (but not 24/7).

First, just cross temporal arteritis off your "list". That's one of the many, many pretend diseases my anxiety had convinced me of in the past, although I think it was a different symptom that led me to that ill-advised Google diagnosis. Temporal arteritis is virtually impossible at a young age (you mentioned term so I assume university?). I believe I had read only 12 documented cases under 50 years old. Of course that was before I had a handle on my anxiety so I didn't let that stop me from fretting! lol

I doubt it's anything serious like vascular or MS either. I have had it, and I'm perfectly fine (well not perfect I guess, I do have vestibular issues and perhaps it's related) but I don't have any serious diseases or threats! If the doctor doesn't think anything of it then I don't recommend you thinking anything of it either.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

It's interesting that you said your symptoms have hit at the same time of year twice. There could be a seasonal component to it, maybe some kind of allergy or migraine situation? And maybe exacerbated by the stress?

thank u!! i think most of the fear comes from anticipation of an alarming escalation in severity. that's so reassuring though to feel distant from vascular threats. i suspect it might b an ear infection :o)
    and that might be true! my immune system's very poor

I have this too my dr thinks either sinus or tmj. It does worry me a bit but have seen a few Drs and no one seems too bothered about it

Thread Information