Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cervical Cancer Worry for partner

Cervical Cancer Worry for partner

Hello,

I’m back after a long time away from the forum, however a real scare has brought me back and I am praying that we are going to be OK.

My wife has discovered a pea sized lump on her cervix and we are both absolutely terrified at what it could be. She had her last smear test two years ago which came back normal – she is 39. She discovered the lump on Saturday evening and had a doctors appointment this morning.

Las night was possibly one of the worst, anxiety filled nights we have experienced ever. We have two small children and naturally, we fear for them in the event of anything bad happening.

The doctor examined my wife and said she could see the small lump but as my wife is menstruating (apologies for the information), the doctor couldn’t really get a good idea of what it may be.

She did say that statistically, it’s unlikely to be anything bad as my wife has no red flag signs, nor has any family history of cervical cancer, has never smoked or been a heavy drinker and isn’t overweight. The doctor has booked in a smear for next week and then a follow up apt a week later.

My wife had a trans v scan at the start of the year and this showed up some fibroids so she is hoping to God that this may be what the lump is...or a cyst...or anything else other than anything dangerous.

As a sufferer of HA, I am finding this extremely difficult to handle (not nearly as much as my wife I expect) but I wondered if anyone, obviously female, has had similar experiences or if there is anything I can latch onto to give me some perspective and hope.

I’m absolutely beyond terrified that this could be something that will shatter our family. I'm panicking to the point of nothing able to eat or sleep. Any words of encouragement would be greatly welcomed. Thank you.

Re: Cervical Cancer Worry for partner

It’s probably just a polyp. In any event, cervical cancer is very slow growing and highly treatable in early stages.

Thank you. I hope that is the case. Things are made worse by the fact that my wife lost a colleague to cervical cancer earlier this year. Is it really treatable in early stage? I want the time to pass so quickly so that we can get the smear results...I don't know how I'm going to stay strong over two weeks.

Please tell me, does this sound like I'm being overly anxious? I'm finding it VERY difficult to keep a sense of perspective. I've not eaten at all today and I'm embarrassed to say it seems like my wife is dealing with things better than I. How selfish do I sound? But I'm so scared - I need her, she's my world.

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Ive also read about cysts that can appear on the cervix also. I'm praying that it's something non-dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21 View Post
    Please tell me, does this sound like I'm being overly anxious?
    You're posting for reassurance about it so what do you think?

Frankly, it sounds like CYA medicine. The doctor didn't seem concerned so...
    I know that doesn't help because you're already starting to go down the rabbit hole but just keep in mind what the doctor said and your wife's medical history.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

When you have a clear smear, they recommend (at least in the US) not to get another for 3 years. That is because cervical cancer is so slow growing. Most people who die from it don’t get checked out when they are supposed to. I can’t judge overreaction; I’m on this board for a reason lol. Just know that you are doing the right thing by checking it out and don’t worry because it’s mostly likely nothing and if it is something, you probably caught it early and can just have it zapped off.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm sure you are fine. The biggest problem is reading online about how doctors miss this and that and horror stories. Then we seek reassurance as I have the past couple months. Trust the doctors. I'm sure it'll be FINE!

Thank you for all of your kind replies. I think because cervical cancer can go undetected for so long, it makes it all the more frightening. Said to my wife that the doc probably wouldn't have mentioned anything along the lines of "statistically, it’s unlikely to be anything bad" unless she genuinely thought so.

The other thing that is very hard to see is my wife getting upset when in the past it has always been I who freaked out over my health. If I could take this on for her, I would in a heartbeat.

The point about years between smears is helpful. I always wondered why they were so far apart but that kind of makes sense now.

And yes, ridiculously I have been Googling. Polyps or nabothian cysts could also be possible I guess. The panic has eased but I'm still petrified of what this could turn out to be. I'm not normally a praying man, but I will be for the next two or so weeks.

I read that cervical cancer takes TEN years to appear after the first microscopic changes to the cervix! If she had a clear smear 2 years ago, I’d say this cannot be cancer based on what I’ve read!

Thank you Limeslime. My logical brain is try hard to keep telling me all of the things people have pointed out above but I’m so scared of what might happen. It looks like it’s going to be a tortuous couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information