Thread: Got the lump in my neck checked.

Panicking.

Hey guys!

Okay so I'm panicking and after a little help. I noticed I have a lump on the right side of the front of my neck, just next to my esophagus I think. I'm 24 years old and I've had it for as long as I can remember, but every so often I remember that it's there and I get filled with sudden panic. I mean I've had it for like 5 years and it's never gotten bigger or anything, so would this be a cause for concern?

Also, about five minutes ago, I started to get a sharp pain in the right of my chest, just where my breast is. It only occurs when I breathe in deeply and now I feel like I can't catch my breath. I've never had this before but it's painful - what could this be? I'm going to try and go to the doctors tomorrow to put my mind at ease, but I'm looking for some reassurance in the meantime.

Thanks!

Re: Panicking.

If it has been there for that long, its definitely not anything to worry about. If it was something to worry about you would have known by now.

Got the lump in my neck checked.

Okay so I booked a doctor's appointment when I finished work this morning because I'd found a lump in the side of my neck. It's quite large, not sore, no other symptoms like sore throat or anything but I've been feeling really run down recently. I've always had a bit of thickness on that side of my neck which I've worried about for a few years, and I feel like I started noticing it more recently now that my anxiety is acting up.

Anyway, I went to the doctor and the first thing she did was look at my medical history and noticed that I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in the past, and took myself off the medication. She referred me to therapy and put me back on the anti-depressants. Then she felt the lump in my neck and asked about other symptoms - loss of appetite, unexplained weightless, pain in the throat etc. None of which I'm experiencing.

She said that shes pretty certain it isn't anything to worry Bout. She said that she's sure the anxiety is playing up and that it's a swollen lymph node because of the anxiety / me being run down. So I need to keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get any bigger, and go back in 3 weeks to have another appointment for the depression / anxiety. If the lump hasn't gone down by then, she'll look further into it, but once again she says she doesn't think it's concerning.

So WHY am I still worried about it? Why can I not believe her? I'm worried that I have been experiencing other symptoms and just so happened to forget them all when I got to the office. Does anybody else have this?

Thanks!

Re: Got the lump in my neck checked.

100% familiar. Anxiety always holds on to any cracks of doubt. A non-anxious person would just think if a doc isn't worried, they shouldn't be. But we hang on to the tiniest possibilities. "If it gets worse come back" is basically doctor speak for "goodbye", but our anxiety sees that as a tiny chink of doubt to worry about.

If a GP had the tiniest of inklings it could be nasty you'd be referred very quickly. I get that too, the worry you've missed a bit or described something wrong, bit don't forget doctors are used to dealing with people way less communicative and eloquent than we are.

Good she spotted the anxiety - not all GPs would have or would have fobbed you off with leaflets - and good luck going forward with that.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
    100% familiar. Anxiety always holds on to any cracks of doubt. A non-anxious person would just think if a doc isn't worried, they shouldn't be. But we hang on to the tiniest possibilities. "If it gets worse come back" is basically doctor speak for "goodbye", but our anxiety sees that as a tiny chink of doubt to worry about.

If a GP had the tiniest of inklings it could be nasty you'd be referred very quickly. I get that too, the worry you've missed a bit or described something wrong, bit don't forget doctors are used to dealing with people way less communicative and eloquent than we are.

Good she spotted the anxiety - not all GPs would have or would have fobbed you off with leaflets - and good luck going forward with that.

This is so true. I struggle with this anxious behavior as well. I've seen my regular doctor three times, urgent care RN, ENT, and a radiologist looked a CT scan done. I still have doubts!!!

Thread Information