Thread: Ear pain, tender lymph node and jaw pain

Ear pain, tender lymph node and jaw pain

Hi,

On Saturday morning, I gradually started to get ear pain with my right ear that increased in severity. It was very painful and it carried on throughout the night. It gradually decreased in severity by the end of the night and I was feeling better by Sunday.

On Monday and Tuesday, I was feeling good, but my hearing felt a bit off and muffled. On the evening of Tuesday, that ear pain came back and I also started to feel a tender area in my neck where my lymph node is. I also started to get lower jaw and teeth pain.

I had a doctors appointment yesterday for this so I was hoping to be able to find out the problem. The doctor checked out my ears, my throat and then felt around my lymph nodes. He told me there was no swelling and that my throat looked normal. He then went and cleaned out my ear free of wax that is hurting before he checked it out by squeezing some water into it with a nozzle. That really hurt! He looked inside both my ears and told me there was no ear infection.

He told me he thinks I'm getting a virus of some kind which I would not be very surprised by. My friend was sick a little over a week ago. She was complaining about her ear and how congested she felt.

I have felt some mild congestion and a sore throat along with some mucus in my throat. I also have felt some head pressure right above where the ear is that is hurting. My main symptoms though have been the tender lymph node pain, the jaw pain, ear pain and teeth pain. Even though my doctor told me he thinks its just a virus, I'm very scared it's something more serious! Like a sinus or tooth infection.

This pain in my ear is pretty bad along with the jaw and lymph node pain. It feels like a throbbing in my ear and I never in my life have had pain like this when I have a cold. So, I'm just concerned. Has anyone else ever had this with a cold?

Re: Ear pain, tender lymph node and jaw pain

Hello? :/

Well, your friend just was sick with the same symptoms, so if you were in contact with this person it makes total sense, right? The problem with us anxiety folk is that we try to overcomplicate things as if we are the needle in the haystack.

Fwiw, your Eustachian tube goes down from your ear, so pain in the tooth/gums/side of lower jaw can really be "ear pain" transferred a bit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm in literally this exact situation. I tend to get fullness in my left ear a lot. My doctors says mild Eustachian tube dysfunction. The last few weeks it's been worse than usual with sharp pain, tenderness behind my ear, and pain in my top left teeth. I have a bad tooth up there, that had a crown put on a few years ago and sometimes causes my problems. It was hurting so much I went to the dentist. He sent me to an endodontist to see if it needed a root canal. He said he saw no sign of infection and it didn't need the root canal. The pain continued so I went to the minute clinic where the nurse there gave me a prescription for antibiotics because my ear was so full of fluid and my nodes swollen. I've been on it for a few days and initially got better, but today my ear and teeth are back to being just as bad. Most sinus/ear things are viral, so I've been thinking this whole time maybe I didn't need the antibiotics. I was in a bad panic last night and crying a lot, so I think I got my ear re-filled with fluid from getting congested. It's so frustrating... and I've had your exact worries! But, I'm trying to just let it pass on its own now because there's not much more I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    I'm in literally this exact situation. I tend to get fullness in my left ear a lot. My doctors says mild Eustachian tube dysfunction. The last few weeks it's been worse than usual with sharp pain, tenderness behind my ear, and pain in my top left teeth. I have a bad tooth up there, that had a crown put on a few years ago and sometimes causes my problems. It was hurting so much I went to the dentist. He sent me to an endodontist to see if it needed a root canal. He said he saw no sign of infection and it didn't need the root canal. The pain continued so I went to the minute clinic where the nurse there gave me a prescription for antibiotics because my ear was so full of fluid and my nodes swollen. I've been on it for a few days and initially got better, but today my ear and teeth are back to being just as bad. Most sinus/ear things are viral, so I've been thinking this whole time maybe I didn't need the antibiotics. I was in a bad panic last night and crying a lot, so I think I got my ear re-filled with fluid from getting congested. It's so frustrating... and I've had your exact worries! But, I'm trying to just let it pass on its own now because there's not much more I can do.
    Hi!

I'm sorry for the late response. I have not been on here in awhile.

I am sorry to hear you have been having somewhat of the same difficulties! Are you better now?

It sounds to me like it is definitely viral. There is something going around. I also think it has to do something with the drastic weather changes we have been having where I live. It was in the high 70s for a few weeks and then it suddenly just dipped down to the low 60s. My body had no time to adjust to this and now the ear pain has been coming back, but it is manageable currently.

Thread Information