Thread: A (somewhat) success story!

A (somewhat) success story!

I should start by saying I still struggle some days, in fact, I’m struggling today. However, I have been doing SO much better than I was over the summer.
    In June I had a bad experience with some marijuana, I had a “bad trip” and had a panic attack, freaked out, thought I was dying, blah blah blah. After that I was having multiple panic attacks a day or panic attacks that lasted full days. My parents were taking time off of work to be with me. I stayed with my grandparents for weeks on end because I was scared to sleep alone because I was scared I would die in my sleep due to one thing or another, it was always something new.
    In July it reached an all time low, I didn’t eat for two weeks, I saw multiple doctors (some good, some bad.) and therapists just in the matter of a few weeks. I couldn’t go do anything at all. I was a mess.
    By August I began my road to recovery, I was only having one or two panic attacks a day, I was sleeping at night, I started eating, I was able to hang out with close friends and family, I began to find pleasure in things again like music or being with friends.
    Now September, I am down to maybe one or two panic attacks every two weeks, if that! How amazing. I’m so proud of myself.

So how’d I do it? How did I get there? The thing that helped me the most, which you see in every post like this I feel like. If you can get yourself to a point where you can make yourself not freaked out by the symptoms of a panic attack, your body will stop making those symptoms. One day I had just got over a panic attack and a new one was coming on, my arms began to get tingly which normally freaked me the hell out but that day I was just annoyed and fed up so I told myself that this happens every time and it’s just my anxiety, it was just nerves. I breathed until it went away.

Some little things that helped me get here
    - writing in a journal every night 3 good things about my day.
    - spraying a spray bottle of water in my face ( I know this sounds silly )
    - laying on the group with a fan pointed at me
    - taking a cool shower
    - listening to really loud music and singing along no matter what
    - calling somebody talk
    - spending time outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: A (somewhat) success story!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm glad to hear that you are making significant progress Kay! And you are right on in your strategy! it's not about whether or not we get the weird symptom/sensation, it's about how we react to it! I like your tips, especially that first one about journaling thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

You are well done, Kay! BTW, some things that help you help me as well. In my notebook, I write 5 good things about my day, I also like dancing and singing to loud music, the neighbors might hate me already lol. And having a long walk outside helps me a lot as well. Keep on going!

Thread Information