Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Anxiety is Suicide

Re: My Anxiety is Suicide

Yes, rational thinking has a fight on it's hands but it is possible and the more you learn to challenge negative thinking the more it becomes possible. Fight or flight is trying to cause the panicking and the more severe the anxiety the harder it is not to be immersed in the anxiety.

Loving father & parent = opportunity for a scary intrusive thoughts theme. Psychologists talk about how our Achilles Heal is the target for such thoughts as it's aim is to shock. What greater way for a parent than to play on their natural need to be there for their family? Another common theme is abuse of loved ones, especially children, and it again it's picking a shocking scenario that creates disgust in a parent.

The point in either is that it is seeing what is most important to you and using it against you. Why would it bother with something unimportant? It's aim is reinforcing the fear.

So some fear hurting themselves and some fear hurting others. I've been through both of these and each was about fear of hurting my loved ones whether physical or mental. The great emotional pain of losing a dad or husband obviously has the potential to create great fear in you as it must do anyone who has a physical illness. Isn't it naturally what a parent first thinks off? Don't parents spend their lives putting their kids first which makes this type of thinking totally natural to them?

You have a safety statement and your therapist will help to draft more. But I think you will find you have others that you haven't thought of. For instance, I love my family so why would I knowingly harm them? I've never done anything to harm my family so why would I now? Etc.

Your life is full of counter evidence to these thoughts. Don't you do the opposite of them on a daily basis? You work to look after and improve their lives. You try to make them happy. That's the opposite of the harm you are likely fearing is caused by these thoughts.

I've seen a few HAers on here have a shift in their fears towards intrusive thoughts of self harm and each was scared to death. That sounds like you. The catastrophizing can easily be seen just as theirs was.

My belief of these people was that this was a theme in anxiety they weren't very aware of hence it scared the life out of them. That's natural considering the content of these thoughts, the perceived impacts, perceived links to depression and the sad outcomes of some of those cases, etc. But try to see this as anxiety shifting to another theme that's within it's sphere, it's very likely the same patterns you have been through in your HA.

And HA in OCD fits into the so called "Pure O" end which is centred around intrusive thoughts. So it's possible to have a shift to a theme like this and given HAers tend to fear death, and it's ramifications, is it so different?

I'm not a HAer and I'm not bothered about my death. Death of loves ones is a different matter as I don't want them to suffer anything. My self harm and harming of loved ones thoughts always came back to the impact on them. I suspect at least some of yours will come from that, the rest probably about any other fears about death? This gives anxiety not such a big jump from you becoming ill and them losing you to self harm as both bring pain to loved ones.

Remember, counter evidence. Why would you bring harm to your loved ones? Isn't your life about doing the total opposite? It's all evidence against this theme.

Uncertainty and lack of self control are anxiety foundations. They will feed into this too. Your therapist can help you with this and intrusive thoughts techniques. Ultimately intrusive thoughts respond to certain things e.g. reducing overall anxiety levels reduces intensity & frequency, changing reactions from negatives to neutral/positive starves the feedback process, etc. And elimination of compulsions, some of which you've stated above.

Terry I cannot thank you enough for the full in-depth post. You have absolutely hit the nail on he head. I actually think I’ll refer to this when I need a positivity boost. Thanks so much

I wrote this BLOG post very recently.
    I just wanted to post it somewhere where it might help someone.
    Terrys words here were fantastically helpful.

So some words, hopefully helpful:-
    http://tonyamis.blogspot.com/2018/10...-thoughts.html

I don’t think I’m ready to read that sorry mazzaninedoor

Ben, thats absolutely fine
    The main thrust of it is I use the term YANA written on my notepads to remind me
    You Are Not Alone

I nicked it from a Doctor Who episode would you believe it
    Take care

Wonderfully insightful and helpful posts, Terry and Mezz.

I couldn't read all of your blog, Mezz, but for me I feel very much alone with all this as I can't share my feelings/issues with anyone in "real life" and any "weakness" is met with anger. Some people are alone unfortunately.

Ben, I hope the therapy helps you to rationalise these fears. Keep posting if we can help to support you.

My wife randomly showed me a picture of a house that in our price range on Zoopla.

As she showed me a picture of the staircase I thought ‘that’ll be where my family find myself hanged’.

I’m absolutely petrified. What’s happening to me? I’m so scared

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Just to clarify I’ve never thought about ending my life or anything similar.

My anxiety regarding suicide specifically has been fairly well subdued recently. It just randomly happened and a huge sweat and panic broke out

Doesn't mean a thing. It's a single random thought.

It came, it went, and now you're the one nurturing the idea that it means anything.

Let it go.

Thanks Joe,

I went for an immediate run, did a guided meditation and I have calmed down. Thanks for the reassurance, it was obviously a petrifying image

Yeah they are. Sometimes if my kids are acting up I imagine myself smacking their heads together (I'm sure you empathise lol), but it doesn't mean I'd ever do it. There are myriad thoughts that come into my head every day that I don't act on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information