Thread: weird muscle weakness

weird muscle weakness

Hello! So I've read time and time again that anxiety can cause muscle weakness (especially in legs), but I feel like mine is a little different than people normally talk about and I was wondering if someone feels the same way and/or can explain to me what specifically could actually be causing this to happen. I know that it's most likely anxiety but I want to know what specifically could set off this kind of response in the body.

I have a couple different "kinds" of weakness that I experience. I call them kinds because they each feel different.

The first kind is an obvious anxiety response, like when you feel that rush of adrenaline and your body feels really light for a while. I understand how that works.

But I have this other weakness I experience I can't really figure out why it's happening. Sometimes it'll just be there as soon as I wake up. I can't really tell while I'm laying down, so when I get up it's always a fun little surprise. It's most often an immediate weakness in my legs, and on some days like today it's a weakness in my arms, shoulders, and legs. I feel weak bit not in the really light way that I feel during an obvious panic response. My limbs feel light but there's also a sort of heaviness there like I'm being pulled to the ground. It lasts the whole day if I'm unlucky, but sometimes half a day.

Other times, I'll wake up feeling normal, but after I work out (I usually do cardio) I'll feel similar to this. It doesn't bother me much though because for some reason it goes away. Recently I rode a bike, and only my legs felt weak after I stopped.

And yet again other times on days where I wake up feeling normal, If I'm sitting in a chair with my legs up to my chest (which I do often because I don't know how to sit like a normal person lmao), when I get up I will feel weakness in my legs. And If I push my arm against something I'll feel weakness in my arm. All of these go away pretty quickly.

The only sense I can make out of this is that I am just SO tense all the time that any extra exertion of my muscles just wears them out?? But does that explain why I wake up like this sometimes? I do grind my teeth at night (and I wear a mouthguard for it) so maybe I just get super tense in my sleep sometimes? I just hate waking up feeling like this because I'll go to sleep perfectly fine and feel like I had a restful sleep then get up and feel terrible.

Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. Any observations and explanations are greatly greatly appreciated!

Re: weird muscle weakness

From the way you describe that it waxed and wanes, sounds like anxiety. Is there a certain disease you’re afraid of? Because if you read about it, your brain can very well attempt to mimic those symptoms, especially if yours are not consistent, sounds like anxiety to a T

Quote Originally Posted by pinedews View Post
    Hello! So I've read time and time again that anxiety can cause muscle weakness (especially in legs), but I feel like mine is a little different than people normally talk about and I was wondering if someone feels the same way and/or can explain to me what specifically could actually be causing this to happen. I know that it's most likely anxiety but I want to know what specifically could set off this kind of response in the body.

I have a couple different "kinds" of weakness that I experience. I call them kinds because they each feel different.

The first kind is an obvious anxiety response, like when you feel that rush of adrenaline and your body feels really light for a while. I understand how that works.

But I have this other weakness I experience I can't really figure out why it's happening. Sometimes it'll just be there as soon as I wake up. I can't really tell while I'm laying down, so when I get up it's always a fun little surprise. It's most often an immediate weakness in my legs, and on some days like today it's a weakness in my arms, shoulders, and legs. I feel weak bit not in the really light way that I feel during an obvious panic response. My limbs feel light but there's also a sort of heaviness there like I'm being pulled to the ground. It lasts the whole day if I'm unlucky, but sometimes half a day.

Other times, I'll wake up feeling normal, but after I work out (I usually do cardio) I'll feel similar to this. It doesn't bother me much though because for some reason it goes away. Recently I rode a bike, and only my legs felt weak after I stopped.

And yet again other times on days where I wake up feeling normal, If I'm sitting in a chair with my legs up to my chest (which I do often because I don't know how to sit like a normal person lmao), when I get up I will feel weakness in my legs. And If I push my arm against something I'll feel weakness in my arm. All of these go away pretty quickly.

The only sense I can make out of this is that I am just SO tense all the time that any extra exertion of my muscles just wears them out?? But does that explain why I wake up like this sometimes? I do grind my teeth at night (and I wear a mouthguard for it) so maybe I just get super tense in my sleep sometimes? I just hate waking up feeling like this because I'll go to sleep perfectly fine and feel like I had a restful sleep then get up and feel terrible.

Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. Any observations and explanations are greatly greatly appreciated!
    Hello. I too get this strange feeling. Sometimes when I wake up I feel like my body isnt there until I move it but usually I'm having racing thoughts and my heart is beating fast. But not always. I'll get the feeling at random which sets off anxiety and I feel like I'll be pulled to the ground. When I'm not thinking about it it goes away. I was afraid of MS for a long time but it doesnt get better or worse. Currently I dont take meds for anxiety but sometimes I think I should lol. I think its anxiety for you but as usual keep a watch out for any new symptoms but dont dwell on it too much.

I get this weakness/heaviness feeling as well, especially in the mornings. It's unnerving when you feel yourself being pulled in a direction that you are not intentionally moving towards. I find that this feeling is at it's worst when I am coming down from an incredibly stressful time, and NOT during the stressor itself as I believe the adrenaline is pushing me on until I complete whatever task is at hand. You aren't alone, and I do hope you start feeling better soon!

Thread Information