Thread: IBS and possibly something else? Multiple symptoms

IBS and possibly something else? Multiple symptoms

Hi, sorry in advance for the essay...

I was diagnosed with IBS in about 1997. For years I didn't suffer too badly, and I was even starting to think I didn't have it. I'll try to explain, briefly: the diagnosis came when my son, delivered by c-section, was about 8 months old (I had been getting pain). I had a hysterectomy in 2011, lots of abdominal adhesions found (from c-section, I guess?), and after the surgery I didn't seem to have IBS any more... the symptoms gradually crept up on me again though. In 2013 I had further surgery to remove 'the rest' of my lady bits (sorry!) and, yep, full of adhesions again, and no IBS after. Again, the symptoms have gradually come back.

Now - I have some level of pain every day. Right now it's right in my groin (both sides). Earlier this week even the front of my thighs were hurting. I also get pain across the top of my stomach, and both sides (when I look at a diagram of the colon, I can see it's the whole thing that hurts sometimes). I also get SEVERELY bloated. I am not exaggerating - I can gain 10+ inches around my belly in less than half an hour. And it is so uncomfortable. I am also getting a lot of what I believe to be acid reflux. This particular symptom always comes on if I have been physically active (vacuuming/doing housework, lifting, generally rushing about). So I keep wondering if maybe I have a hernia?

I feel nauseous at some point most days, if I eat or if I don't eat, regardless of what I eat. I can't tolerate vegetables, fruit, dairy, pasty/baked goods, rice (not always, sometimes it's ok), NO caffeine, no fizzy drinks, no artificial sweeteners, bread is ok if I only have a little, and don't have it every day. I haven't eaten meat since about 1990.

Waistbands in particular set me off - my clothes don't need to be tight for that to happen, just basically on me!

There is just so much going on all the time, it's impossible to know if there is one issue, or a few. Today I was 'bad' and had a cup-a-soup with some cream crackers. I am now gurgling and full of gas (sorry again!).

I am very anxious, and my emetophobia is by far the worst it's ever been.

I feel like my whole digestive system is in meltdown. I have considered SIBO, lactose intolerance, adhesions, IBS and hernia. I have also considered that it is ALL anxiety. But seriously, I have run out of things to eat, I am miserable, I am in pain, and the last time I saw a GP all she said is - "Oh, that's (ondansetron) quite a strong one (nausea medication)". She looked at my record, saw the IBS diagnosis, and gave me the prescription. She didn't seem at all interested in the fact that I am suffering every day. I can eat hardly anything, but feel just as ill if I don't eat at all. How I've put on so much wait is a mystery. I am in pain. I am tired all the time.

Can anyone relate? Does this sound like something other than/or in addition to IBS?

Thanks for reading, if you got this far.

Oh, I should have said. I tend towards constipation - but not to the degree I think the IBS diagnosis means. My 'habits' seem to be reasonably 'normal' a lot of the time.

Re: IBS and possibly something else? Multiple symptoms

Hi, I saw this post was from a few weeks ago but just wanted to let you know I experience some similar things. Generally has been put down to IBS as I've had a number of colonoscopies and endoscopies over the years and nothing of significance found (only some mild gastritis in my stomach). I've found nothing other than IBS to account for the bloating and discomfort with waistbands etc. like you mentioned. I think mine is around food intolerances but haven't worked out what they are as yet. Drs have suggested I follow the low FODMAP diet, perhaps this is something you could look into if you haven't already. I haven't done it properly as yet as it needs quite commitment! However I'll be trying that and also seeing Dr again tomorrow as I seem to be having a flare up (seems to happen every couple of years). Sorry I don't have any other advice but wanted to send a reply.

Thread Information