Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Male breast cancer fear

Re: So Male breast cancer fear

Gosh, you poor thing, this is going on and on for you isn't it....and you are doing really well in keeping your anxiety under control.

On the breast cancer care forums there are men who come on, and yes, there have been a few men there treated for bc, so there is no denying even men have to be 'breast aware'....however rare it might be (and my goodness it IS rare). The ultrasound and clinic appointment - when are they next week ? You know, the fact that these GPs are wavering between absolutely not, to better get this checked, is in itself a good sign, you clearly aren't showing standard obvious signs, but they can't work out what it is.

I’ll be honest I’ve seen 5 doctors and all had a feel around and said “nothing that concerns me” - I personally requested a breast clinic visit as the first person I saw 6wks ago said I should if it didn’t clear up and it hasn’t. Seeing 5 docs may seem OTT but as a man I felt that it might be overlooked and brushed off with lotions and potions, it kind of was - it’s clearly not normal and the professional level of concern has elevated..... but it could be some weird “thing” that just happens and one day it will go.

Everyone with HA (I think) probably knows in the back of their mind that the headache, back pain, mouth ulcer isn’t anything to worry about but our minds go into to hyper illness mode. Usually these weird symptoms we get come and go but sometimes you know when something genuinely isn’t right.

Most blokes wouldn’t even think about breast cancer but you guys definitely should check yourselves out as much as woman do, especially if something isn’t “normal” for you. Men might be at 1% risk of BC but that doesn’t mean it’s 0%.

That said, the chances of being hit by a bus is far greater!!

Edit: it’s a mammogram I’m getting.

Incredibly well measured and sensible post, in my opinion. The mammogram process is usually far more accurate in men, so I'm sure you will have your answer after this - and hopefully move on. I do understand where you are coming from on this, you've had various treatments and they've not resolved it. You aren't catastrophising - "it MUST be bc!" - you also are aware it could just be 'one of those things' and its a rare possibility (just a few hundred men diagnosed as opposed to many tens of thousands of women.) I can't say I blame you pushing for the mammo, I think I would be too.

The last GP pushed for an ultrasound but the hospital declined it and they are opting for a mammogram instead - I assumed that was the first port of call any ways.

Hopefully be back on this thread posting “phew....”

Thanks for the replies by the way!

Had another physical check and ultrasound. All ok. No known cause! I’m a medical mystery lol

Great ! Some things are like that in life, of unknown cause, of no concern but still there......this concern can be put to bed though.

It’s the hair that fell out on my legs. No idea why! I believe that actually the breast thing has something to do with hormones

I suspect you may be right, maybe low testosterone, high oestrogen? I don't know anything about these in men, but having a stab in the dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information