Thread: Citalopram

Citalopram

Hi all I went on 10mg citalopram about 3 years ago and took them whenever I felt like it could of been 1 every 3/4 days and never had any side effects, about 8 weeks ago I took 30mg a 20 and 10mg together and about 2/3 hours later I started getting heart Palpitations and had my very first panic attack which shit the life out of me so I went cold turkey on the citalopram completely and Everything went down hill bad. After 4 weeks of going cold turkey I had nausea headaches and even more daily panic attacks so I went to my Dr.

He said go back on citalopram 10mg per day for 6/8 weeks and things will level out. Well I’m 3 weeks in and I am taking 10mg every night religiously as he said going cold turkey would have caused all my symptoms.

Every morning I wake up feeling sick had 2 weeks of very strong headaches but the panic attacks will not go so he has now prescribed me with Diazipam 2mg up to 8 times daily which I have to take to take the edge off the attack.

Will the citalopram do its job soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Citalopram

Citalopram is a drug that has to be taken daily. Missing one dose every now and then isn't a big deal, but you can't just take it randomly (there's no benefit in that anyway, it doesn't work like a benzo) and you can't really go cold turkey either. I'm wondering who told you to take it so spottily as well as who told you to just take 30 mg out of the blue, as that's quite a jump.

Listen to your doc now, take it daily, and in a few weeks you should feel better. If you need to up your dose, he'll do that. If you need to quit, tell your doc first so you can work out a plan to taper off.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Regards

Elen Admin

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Citalopram is a drug that has to be taken daily. Missing one dose every now and then isn't a big deal, but you can't just take it randomly (there's no benefit in that anyway, it doesn't work like a benzo) and you can't really go cold turkey either. I'm wondering who told you to take it so spottily as well as who told you to just take 30 mg out of the blue, as that's quite a jump.

Listen to your doc now, take it daily, and in a few weeks you should feel better. If you need to up your dose, he'll do that. If you need to quit, tell your doc first so you can work out a plan to taper off.

I was stupid not to listen to my doctor in the first place and just took them when I felt like it (Lesson Learnt)! And I won’t ever go cold turkey either. I am taking them properly 10mg per day just want to know if 10 is enough? My Dr has said got to 20mg now but I’m scared my symptoms will get worse?

Thread Information