Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu vaccine

Flu vaccine

So I got my flu shot this morning, and now I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I've heard that being sick when you get the shot will make the shot less effective. My HA is around getting the flu. So now I'm terrified my flu vaccine will be useless and that I'll end up with the flu.

Re: Flu vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    So I got my flu shot this morning, and now I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I've heard that being sick when you get the shot will make the shot less effective. My HA is around getting the flu. So now I'm terrified my flu vaccine will be useless and that I'll end up with the flu.
    Sounds like it’s all in your head to be honest. You’re paranoid if the flu, so you’re inventing things around getting the vaccine.

It's proven actually that being sick reduces the efficacy of the shot. My doctor also told me not to get it while sick. I felt fine when I got it - so I'm frustrated that now it seems I'm getting a cold.

It's proven actually that being sick reduces the efficacy of the shot. My doctor also told me not to get it while sick. I felt fine when I got it - so I'm frustrated that now it seems I'm getting a cold.
    I think it’s something you’re paranoid about so the “coming down with a cold” symptoms are being exacerbated in your mind.

100% plausible. I'm very aware that my nose and ears feel stuffy and my throat feels a little sore. I'm definitely overthinking it and am hyperfocusing on my perceived symptoms. Could be allergies - hopefully. I need to chill out either way, wish I could snap my fingers and not have HA!

100% plausible. I'm very aware that my nose and ears feel stuffy and my throat feels a little sore. I'm definitely overthinking it and am hyperfocusing on my perceived symptoms. Could be allergies - hopefully. I need to chill out either way, wish I could snap my fingers and not have HA!
    I totally understand. Just try to keep yourself occupied and not dwell on it

100% plausible. I'm very aware that my nose and ears feel stuffy
    ...and if you get the flu, you'll feel sick for a few days, get to chill out, have hot tea and watch your favorite TV shows. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

You're going to be fine either way.

Like Nancy says you can get some flu-like symptoms from these injections. I've had that a few times but also nothing at all.

And yes, our nurses always ask if you have a cold before and if so you have to rebook. But anyone could start a cold the same day as getting the injection without knowing they had one to be able to tell the nurse first and rebook. But the odds are much longer than having a old before aren't they?

A mild cold while getting your flu shot is nothing to worry about. More severe illness is the worry because there’s already a strong immune reaction going on, which may decrease the efficacy of the shot (and delay recovery of the existing illness). But just a case of the sniffles is nothing to worry about. And the good news is that if the flu season in Australia this year was any indicator, this jab is pretty well matched to the main flu viruses out there this year.

This actually happens to me every single time I get the flu shot. I feel terrible for a day or so after. Some of it is probably in my head, but apparently it is also just down to your immune system responding to the injection and creating the necessary antibodies. So nothing to worry about, just a bit unpleasant.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information