Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife has an ovary being removed Thursday, small chance of cancer. Need some advice

My wife has an ovary being removed Thursday, small chance of cancer. Need some advice

Sooo, long story. First of all, I want to say I am not overly worried about this, or even really anxious. I just know that if I go to google, I would violate one of the tenants that keeps me peaceful and steady. To that end, I bring my woes here in the hopes those with similar experiences might be able to share their story with me.

My wife has had a couple years of wacky, irregular periods. Months at a time with nothing, then bleeding for three weeks straight. Early on she had a very dismissive OBGYN tell her after a CT revealed a large cyst on her left ovary, he said all was well, "that's normal" and blow her off with no further testing.

A year later, she went to find a new OB/GYN and she was excellent. She took a much stronger course of action, and got her a new CT coupled with a transvaginal ultrasound. Her left ovary had had the same large cyst on it, now a year or so later. She has some other symptoms, but nothing too worrisome except the odd menstruation patterns. I won't detail any of the other symptoms, though a couple seem consistent with both ovarian growths and/or ovarian cancer.

Her OB/GYN claims she is not "too worried about cancer, as it hasn't changed much in the last two year." But when pressed, she said she wants it out now, not in six months when my wife was hoping to deal with it after some winter travel we had planned. Also, there is no old ultrasound to compare it to, so it is going from one sub par CT to another. The radiologist's ultrasound report actually says "it looks of similar size to previous CT scans, as far as I am able to tell." I will take that as a good sign, but it is far from conclusive.

So this week we come to it. She is having the ovary out on Thursday, and then biopsied, obviously. I am going through my "what-ifs" and avoiding google. I am doing really well anxiety wise, for the most part, and have been pretty proud about being able to compartmentalize and be there for her without predicting and being "sure" of the worst case scenario.

As Fishmanpa has often said on these forums, "it is not cancer until it's cancer." I really, truly am greatful for that expression, so if you read this, thanks again Fish.

That said, if anyone has any experience with benign ovarian growths, I would love to hear your experience. I came here, simply because I know googling would just lead to a place that is both destructive and misleading, and I would love very much to have some more information without turning it into a revived HA episode. Any words would be appreciated.

Re: My wife has an ovary being removed Thursday, small chance of cancer. Need some ad

I know two people have got their ovaries removed. One had nothing mentioned about cancer and one did. Lucky neither of them had that issue!! Yet the girl who did have it mentioned to her it was just because she had a family history of that. She said it was more of a throw away, covering his ass thing. Meanwhile when it was possible for her Mam (sadly she did have it but when the ovary was removed she was perfect and has been for years now!!). The doctor was a lot more forward and serious talking about the issue. I know doctors talk differently and use different tones also.

I don't know a lot more about the issue, just sending lots of positive thoughts to your wife and to you also x. Keep us updated and I hope all is well!!!

Re: My wife has an ovary being removed Thursday, small chance of cancer. Need some ad

Hi lofwyr,

I don't have personal experience with benign ovarian growths (though I have long suspected I might have PCOS!). I do know that benign growths (PCOS or otherwise) are very common. A friend of mine had some fibroids removed from her ovaries that were the size of a baseball! She ended up just fine and was very relieved to have them removed.

I want to give you HUGE KUDOS for not Googling. I know how hard it is to resist that particular siren's song... it can be soooo tempting and is always sooooo not worth it. You are doing great. <3

If you can, will you promise me that you will continue to not Google? If you ever feel the urge, try and delay it for five minutes, and maybe update this thread if you think it would help.

Fish is right -- it's not cancer until it's cancer. And remember that benign growths are really common, much more common than cancer.

<3 Hang in there. We (and I!) am here if you need to talk.

Thanks guys! I really do appreciate it. You know how it is when you let your own thoughts cycle and get the best of you.

I will absolutely stay away from Google, no worries there. Again, thanks to both of you!

I will use this thread to update her story as it goes, in case anyone else needs to go down this road in the future.

Yes I had a complex cyst on my right ovary which I wanted removed asap. It was benign as are the majority of ovarian cysts. While I was in hospital a woman in the opposite bed had a 21lb ovarian cyst (yes, you read that right- 21lb! the size of 3 babies!) removed and it was benign. The ob/gyn's nurse told me the biggest one she'd seen was 7stone. That was benign too! Ovarian cysts are very common, often they are only found by accident. I hope your wife is fine, I'm sure she will be. Congrats on staying away from evil Dr. Google

Quote Originally Posted by Katie55 View Post
    Yes I had a complex cyst on my right ovary which I wanted removed asap. It was benign as are the majority of ovarian cysts. While I was in hospital a woman in the opposite bed had a 21lb ovarian cyst (yes, you read that right- 21lb! the size of 3 babies!) removed and it was benign. The ob/gyn's nurse told me the biggest one she'd seen was 7stone. That was benign too! Ovarian cysts are very common, often they are only found by accident. I hope your wife is fine, I'm sure she will be. Congrats on staying away from evil Dr. Google
    Blummin hell! Those must have been extremely visible and very embarrassing for those women.

OP - I think it's natural to go through these thought processes but in the non anxious they won't continue into obsessive-compulsive cycles and all the negative thinking patterns as well as not turning us into a complete mess. So, perhaps accept a certain amount of this would be felt by anyone, since it would be stranger not to think about a loved one, and stay positive in your ability to halt it from becoming a problem as this is more how recovery should be.

You've got the counter evidence in your favour; two years of symptoms which you know untreated would look very different with an ovarian cancer, various tests, no worried doctors, etc (isn't your wife also of the age where this area of the body experiences changes & such things?).

Good luck to your wife Perhaps put your time into doing some nice things for her, it will make you feel good too and like you have a purpose at a time when you likely feel a bit powerless.

Hey lofwyr, how are you doing today?

I do not know if it will help: My wife removed an ovary because of a cyst. It was only to remove the cyst that on the ultrasound showed a size but then when they were withdrawn it was the size of a tennis ball and so they removed the ovary, went for biopsy and a terrible week after the "benign" report ... So I believe it's the same case.

veggiedog, doing really well, actually. Keeping the anxiety beast at bay.

And thanks for the further replies...seven stone?!?!?! Wow. 21 pounds sounds hard to believe. For my yank brain, 7 stone is around 49 pounds, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    veggiedog, doing really well, actually. Keeping the anxiety beast at bay.

And thanks for the further replies...seven stone?!?!?! Wow. 21 pounds sounds hard to believe. For my yank brain, 7 stone is around 49 pounds, right?
    Double it. 98lbs!!! 14 pounds to a stone.

Like having a slim woman inside you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information