Thread: Second round of dp/dr :-(

Unhappy Second round of dp/dr :-(

Hey all, so I’m new to the site but been lurking a couple of weeks. Trying not to get to consumed with all this anxiety and negativity in my brain but it’s incredibly hard at times.

I’ve had anxiety since I was 12. I’m nOw 32. Had my 1st child at 19 and within 2 weeks of having her I developed dp/dr which, unfortunately, didn’t go away for about 6 years. It was horrific and insane how bad I got. The symptoms were intense at times and I developed panic attacks and agoraphobia.

I finally after 6 years got on citalopram and leveled out and mostly back to normal. The dr/dp faded to almost non existent except on the occasional high stress or in big crowds moments but even then totally manageable.

Fast forward I was perfect for about 7 years and stupid me tried getting off my medicine and am now into 7 weeks back on medicine and still dealing with the dr/dp which at times is insanely intense and freighting.

Just looking for someone with maybe a similar story of escaping dr/dp then getting it back and becoming stable again. I know deep down I’ll be fine but dang these symptoms suck!!

Re: Second round of dp/dr :-(

Stuck in lalaland hi, I've been dealing with DPDR on and off since I was 16 (now 28) I'd say I was at my worst in 2014 with it. It can come and go for sure but having it 6 years straight think you deserve a medal. I hadn't had dp DR since earlier this year but now I'm stuck with intrusive thoughts and other wierd shit associated with it. You'll be fine just read one of the guides on how best to combat dpdr

I highly recommend Mindfulness. It's focused on grounding yourself, being in your body, feeling what's actually happening in the moment. I completed an 8 week mindful course which helped immensely but there are other ways to learn about it. A good place to start is a Mindful body scan - there are probably tonnes on youtube.
    Something else that helped immensely was reading a really old post on here from someone who said she got DP/DR so bad that one day at work she attached a name tag to herself to look at and remind herself who she was / where she was / what she was doing - and just went about her day! She joked about it herself & it just seemed so hilarious to me, the things we have to do to make ourselves feel at ease!! It really took away a lot of the fear for me and I then stopped focusing on the feeling so much that it just naturally went away on its own.

I used to know someone who got dp/dr and she would do thinks like nip herself or press her head against something to try and prove she was real and help her perspective on the situation, I don't know if those tips are of use, or if they help at all. Sorry, Mark.

I’ve had 3 bouts of dr in the past 10 years as an anxiety sufferer. The first one lasted for 2 yeras( No meds only exercising, cut, mindfulness). As you already know the less you concentrate the quicker it will go. I’m in the middle of my 3rd round at the moment. I had a period of stress and bang it is back. This time isn’t so bad maybe because I know it will go eventually. I know it sounds crazy but I try to embora it. Mindfulness and exercise are also very very good.
    Good luck to we all and concentrate in knowing it won’t harm you and you will get better. It’s not a quick fix, it takes time. Be strong!!

Thread Information