Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Emetophobia sufferers

Welcome Tammy

If you ever find us again

EXPOSURE THERAPY...

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Meg,
    thanks for your reply. I was determined to find this thread again

Really hope it has helped you reading this Tammy.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Hi Everyone . Im new here. Ive had emetephobia for over 30 years. Not good! I have good times and bad times, and sometimes i feel that i dont have a phobia and can do all sorts of things. Othertimes, when i am in the panic zone, i am dreadful. The fear of the fear is definately worse than the actual thing im afriad of. Im 32 now. Too scared to have children in the case of morning sickness. The trouble is with me, is that ive started panicking so much, i actually make myself gag. This is like someone else who postsed a message, saying that their throat closes up with the anxiety. This fear is made worse by any general anxiety i have in my life. I have never burped in my life as the 'upward' movement is too close to that off being sick. Im under weight as I eat 'safe' foods, however, i do eat healthily and dont get afraid of my own cooking!
    Everything has been worse recently as i was in london with the terrorist attacks. I was stuck on the escape exit and what was i more afraid of? being sick or dying? This scared me as all i could think about on the escape exit was 'what if im sick now?!'. Its dreadful and i feel ashamed. When i finally escaped, i dry heaved through terror, and so did many others. However this time, i didnt get any release from it when i eventually got home. Ive been stuck in major fear since early july now.
    I despair because i have never heard of anyone cured of this phobia asits apparntly one of the most difficult to cure. The logical side of my brain knows im not really sick, but the anxiety symptoms of nausea and palpitations are so real, that i believe that i will besick, even though i dont TRULY feel sick.
    This is a behavioural thing and i am conditioned to feel sick and feel nervous every day, beacuse i have done every day for the last 30 years. Its like a habit! its only myself that is causing this and i need to re condition my thought processes, but i dont know how!!!
    I speak topeople who dont have this phobia and they say to me, if youthink about being sick all the time, its no wonder you feel sick ! Stop thinking about it all the time!!.
    So now i am on a new behaviour routine. I need a dviersion from this. It takes 3 weeks to kick a habit ( so say the professionals).
    Please anyone feel free to write to me.. I wish you all the best everyone.xx

Hi Babyj

Welcome - do feel free to post an introduction with this post so we can respond to you specifically.

There are people who have got over emetophobia. CBT and exposure therapy seem to be the most sucessful

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

Hi babyj,

I'm exactly the same as you and am currently going through CBT therapy for it. I'll PM you...

Mark

Great, Im doing some NLP NEXT WEEK. The guy has told me that phobias can be cured in 1 session, but i have to be realisitic in the fact that ive had this phobia for such a long time it may take 2 sessions. He does the same kind of work as Paul Mckenna ( you may have seen him on television). Fingers crossed. I am positive about this and I do hope that i can sort this out once and for all. Ive had exposure and Ive actually been sick in public twice and it hasnt helped at all, so ive needed to find a new therapy for me.
    I will keep you all posted and let you know! My first session is on monday!

My windows messenger is babyj@orange.net if anyone wants to get in touch

I'm new here too. I have introduced myself on another thread. I can't believe I'm not the only one! Can someone tell me what CBT and exposure therapy are and was the other one NLT? I am visiting my doctor on thursday so he can refer me to a physotherapist. Everything I've read is so very like myself.

CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy. I think there's some information about it on the home pages that will explain more. Basically it is about retraining your thoughts.
    Therapy
    Try that link.

Exposure therapy - this is more about dealing with your actual phobia by facing it. The key with this type of therapy is to do it a little at a time. You expose yourself to something you are afraid of (e.g. picture of someone with their hand over their mouth) until you are no longer afraid. This might mean looking at it for five minutes every day until you are confortable enough to move on. It might mean looking at the picture in black and white/ from a distance at first. Eventually you will build up to facing your ultimate fear.

As a sufferer myself, if someone had told me eventually I would watch somone be sick, just the thought alone would have bought on panic.

But it really does work. I have been doing a mixture of the two therapies for the last month or so and I am a hundred times better than when I first joined this site. The CBT helps ward off those negative thoughts and the exposure is more about dealing with the nitty gritty!

I can't help you with the other one though... no idea, sorry!

Hope it goes well at the doctors, I found mine to be very understanding.

Tammy x

NLP is also expained on the home pages under therapy or natural therapies

Meg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information