Thread: Prion disease from blood draw!

Prion disease from blood draw!

Hello everyone so today I just went and got a routine blood draw from my gp and now I think I may possibly develop Creutzfeld Jakob Disease. I say this because an elderly lady in the waiting room had trouble moving around and looked mildy uncoordinated, she was seen before me. Im scared that she has CJD and prions on her skin which my doctor touched, then my doctor may have touched the needle he inserted in me for the blood draw. Im panicking right now someone please help.

Re: Prion disease from blood draw!

Try to remember that this will be incredibly rare, if even possible. They take blood billions of time all over the world and if CJD was any real threat it would be big news. Infection control and contamination risks are critical to the medical community, for a start they are at much greater risk than we are. So, if these risks were real to us, their sickness rates would be far higher and big news.

Also, you will probably find just about every elderly person has trouble moving around and with their coordination simply because it comes with age. She may even have been there due to some chronic condition such as arthritis.

You're multiplying very unlikely things together here.

Old lady has CJD x doctor somehow contracts this on his skin x doctor somehow passes it on to you.

I'd say all of these things sound virtually impossible on their own.

Virtually impossible x virtually impossible x virtually impossible = astronomically unlikely, if possible at all.

Usual question - is this kind of anxiety common for you, and have you ever sought any help?

While I understand in your mind this is a real possibility, from a reality standpoint, the scenario is total fantasy.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information