Thread: Heart Rate Spiked to 140 For No Reason

Heart Rate Spiked to 140 For No Reason

I've been worried about my heart for a few weeks now, been feeling a lot of beating feelings in my chest, pressures, moving sensations, etc. I've also felt like my pulse hasnt been returning to resting rate as quick as it should after activities.

Last night I was playing a game, got done and I felt this pulsing in my ears that sounded like a rapid heart rate, I took my pulse and it as 83, I thought nothing of it, thought it was just pressure, which I still think it just was. I was feeling good after that, about an hour later I was about to go to bed and I got a cardiologist appointment in December so I've been doing some recordings and right before I go to bed I checkmy pulse...I was feeling ok, no anxiety I thought it would be like 60-65...It was 143. There is no reason I can think of for my pulse to be 143 except for some type arrythmia or something. I verified it on our blood pressure machine, my blood pressure went to 160/100. I was so shocked by this it triggered some of the worst panic I've ever had. I truly didnt expect it to be bad and I had no symptoms. Im so scared about an arrythmia now, I was some before but I have never ever seen any numbers like this. Even the highest pulse I've seen at the height of a panic attack was 120-125.

I go to my doctor at 2pm tomorrow, hoping to get my cardio appointment moved up but im still terrified.

Re: Heart Rate Spiked to 140 For No Reason

The fact that you had no symptoms is good. I have SVT and get rates much higher then that but sometimes when I have a brief episode and its between 130 and 160 I don't notice it but have had event monitors pick up on them.
    The cardiologist will likely put you on one. Try not to worry yourself sick in the mean time. The serious arrythmia's normally come with more symptoms.

Yea..I've absolutely made myself sick today worrying. Been so terrified its about to happen again, and then I was sitting here, I was just typing something out on my keyboard and I felt a pins and needles feeling in my fingers similar to last night. I know that made me anxious that it was about to happen again so with my watch I have to flip it to the heart meter and give it a second to read. The first reading it gave was 150 bpm, but within 2-3 seconds it was back to 100. And didnt go much above there after. Could have have just been a misreading due to spiking anxiety or what? Blood pressure went up too..its currently all normal again

My doctors appointment isnt for 13 hours and im really just trying to make it there, if feels like way too long from now.

---------- Post added at 02:02 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

And nowI just using my watch again, It was 79 I was about to turn it off because it was good..then without anxiety my pulse shot to 120 and started pounding.

The problem here is most likely your constant awareness of your heart rate. Stress, anxiety and panic can often increase your overall heart rate, even when 'rested'. My heart rate used to go way past 140bpm when I was in an overall anxious state. It would spike all the time. A night time panic attack would have it approaching 160bpm fairly regularly.

Just wait for the check up. There's nothing medically dangerous about your heart rate being that high, and it doesn't have to have a sinister medical issue for it to happen either.

For now, stop checking. It's the largest contributing factor to the spikes.

I just got back from the doctor. I had an EKG, the EKG was good, she said it is possible there could be something intermittent so she's gonna give me the referral to have my cardiologist appointment moved up, I wasnt having the symptoms there except for some popping feelings, so I guess maybe I can rule those out as a heart issue because they were going on as I was having the EKG. No explanation on the pulse though. Would likely need a 24-72 hour monitor for that

I think it just happened again. I was just standing outside with my grandparents, was calm and felt a hard beat, then it felt like it picked up..I came back inside and my pulse was 122. Blood pressure 144/90, it came back down after 3-4 minutes.

Could it be that you felt a hard beat and it startled you and that's why your heart rate went up?

Quote Originally Posted by Trbfan View Post
    I've been worried about my heart for a few weeks now
    Take that along with self monitoring your pulse and BP and here you are Every little niggle sets off your anxiety off thus triggering your fight or flight response and physical reaction.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Could it be that you felt a hard beat and it startled you and that's why your heart rate went up?
    The event on Wednesday no, I had felt that feeling in my ear about an hour before but I honestly wasnt thinking about that, I was focused on something else totally and feeling actually pretty good, didnt notice any weird feelings before. I fully expected my pulse to be low when I started taking it.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Take that along with self monitoring your pulse and BP and here you are Every little niggle sets off your anxiety off thus triggering your fight or flight response and physical reaction.

Positive thoughts
    Maybe I've been trying to, but I was..about as least worried about it as I've been in awhile when this happened, like I felt nothing weird, everything was going good, I wasnt thinking about it other than to just get my number before bed which I expected to be fine.

Thread Information