Thread: Fear of fleas out of control

Fear of fleas out of control

Since children I have had a fear of fleas, lices, mites, ticks etc
    I am okay with other bugs like bettles or whatever just ones that live on things.

We have pets I have never had them till I met my partner with cats. We just got a puppy and I saw like maybe 4 crawling on him we have the vet treatment on them all and my partner said they probably came from ourside and will die when they bite
    But I read how quickly it can get out of control and we have a lot of stuff to do like spray all over the house and I can just imagine now we have so many of them.
    I want to set fire to the place
    I also lost my son 6 years ago and I worry so much about his things get infested with them and I can't cope

My partner said I am overreating and its all fine and I need to calm down

Re: Fear of fleas out of control

Highly recommend the frontline on the spot treatment(there are some cheaper options, MOST are decent), it causes your pet no harm, I've used it since 1997 and not had a single flee since (me or the pets).

Parasites are horrible things, I think most people hate them. And animals are not always the most hygenic creatures. I have a big dog who loves nothing more than rolling in poo and eating revolting stuff so I can sympathise on that count. The good news is that there are lots of highly effective treatments and preventions for parasites. Your vet will advise but make sure you get treatment for fleas, ticks, mites and also worms.

I've never had a problem in the whole seven years I've had my dog, and we live in the countryside. I think these things only get out of control when people are neglecting their animals and their living space. However, your puppy should not have came with fleas and I would complain to the breeder. Young pups shouldn't be outside until they are vaccincated so it must have caught fleas from the mother and, really, the mom should have been treated. Fleas can be a serious health risk for a teeny puppy.

Rearding your sons posessions. Have you looked into long term storage solutions? There might be suggestions on the internet about how to keep things in pristine condition long-term. I don't think its likely that the animals pose a risk but things like damp, clothes moths ect can have an effect over time.

x

If you've used the vet treatment, you should be okay. Fleas are vile, but unless they get out of control they really are largely harmless.

Treatment from the vet is best...stronghold or something similar. Then when the fleas bite they die. Fleas cannot live on a treated animal. Frontline is now hit and miss. Fleas are becoming resistant to it. My vets won't stock it anymore.
    But fleas are no biggy. I work with animals and I've lost count of the times I've ended up stratching my ankles. It's part and parcel of my job.
    Treat the pup, treat the cats and flea bomb the house and relax.

Thread Information