Hi all. I haven't posted in a while as I tend not to lurk around here when I'm feeling well - although I find it comforting to know I'm not alone in this, I also find it allows me to focus more on the bad things I'm feeling.
Anyway, my anxiety and panic attacks often manifested as DP/DR. This would sometimes last for weeks, and I know that we all know how terrifying it can be to be 'trapped' in that state.
I enrolled on a Mindfulness course, not really hoping for much other than maybe some relaxation techniques. But since practising daily, I haven't experienced any feelings of not being real / not being in my body etc.
Since the whole point of mindfulness is being here, now, in the present, being grounded it's been literally the perfect tonic for me and I wanted to suggest it to anyone else who suffers this horrid symptom.
I'd read mindfulness books with no success but there was an 8 week course not too far from me which was taught by a retired GP & I believe they're country-wide so it's worth looking to see if one is being held near you, I think it was ran by BreathWorks. It involves daily meditation & dedicating some time during the day to 'do an activity mindfully' and then a group session once a week in the evening.
I'm still battling anxiety but I'll take it over DP/DR any day.
Just wanted to let people know it doesn't last forever