Thread: Panic attack during bp test dr how to tell?

Panic attack during bp test dr how to tell?

So I posted on Friday that I went to walk in clinic to get flu shot and I let them take my bp mostly to prepare for my gyno visit on the 12 when I know they’ll take it. I think I may have had a panic attack while they checked. I didn’t get short of breath or collapse but my heart was racing and I was just petrified. My pulse was 140 which was the main reason I thought panic attack. My bp was super high to 167/98 but not surprising considering my pulse . She took it 3 times at my request over like 3 minutes same arm it came down to 138/75 but my pulse was still 130. I was actually thrilled because I thought the pulse confirmed white coat. When I got home my pulse was74. That was after a brisk walk. It’s isually about 70. My husband said panic attack. He says I’ll hsve no problem with convincing the dr I have white coat with that number and getting my birth control pills renewed or switching to iud. However I do wonder how will I ever get over this? I’ll never be able to get an accurate reading its so embarrassing
    Last edited by Weasley123; 28-10-18 at 12:23.

Re: Panic attack during bp test dr how to tell?

Well, the problem is not your physical health, obviously, so have you done anything to address the anxiety? That would be the logical next step, if you haven't done so, is learn some tools to overcome it.

I don't have white coat hypertension, but I do have to monitor my BP for an actual medical condition (per doctor's instructions, I am NOT advocating self testing). I have done a good number of experiments, and I can take my BP from 135/80 down to 116/70 with meditative breathing alone.

Re: Panic attack during bp test dr how to tell?

I’ve tried listening to hypnosis relaxation tapes and deep breathing. This really helps in other situation of panic but not around no machine. I also tried to face my fear with the test Friday. I have a script for Xanax which I take for anxiety. I don’t want to self test so I’m not sure if deep breathing at home would help. I just wonder is it a panic attack I don’t even know but I assume the pulse means it is

Thread Information