Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram

Mammogram

Good evening.
    I just got a callback from my primary care provider that I have to go back for more scans on both breasts on Wednesday. This is my first routine mammogram. I literally cannot stop crying. I have health anxiety so terrible that I’m literally sitting in my office chair frozen with fear. I don’t know how to get through this.

Re: Mammogram

OKkkkkkkayyyy, breathe.......

Did they say WHY you needed to go back for more scanning? Could it be that the images weren't good enough or clear? I know in the UK we often get some call-backs as the images aren't good enough.

Was it ultrasound images that they wanted to do next time, or another mammo?

Routine mammograms are a good thing, as they pick up anything early that is suspect (breast cancer treated in early stages has such a good effective treatment outcome nowadays), as of course you know. However, not everything that they pick up IS breast cancer. Sometimes radiographers/consultants are not sure about something, and to be entirely certain and rule it out they also want to do ultrasounds.

Talk to me, happy to listen....
    Last edited by Carys; 29-10-18 at 22:02.

I am so so sorry you are going through this. More than likely (especially because it is both breasts, but even if it was just one it shouldn't be a big deal), it is just to get more imaging. If this is your first mammogram you are likely be called back to get more images for the baseline. You probably have very dense breasts (as we do when we are younger) and it is super hard for them to get good, accurate images. This is one of the reasons the U.S. has pushed back the standard mammogram schedule to reflect more European guidelines for mid-late 40's or 50 rather than earlier. I am sure all is ok and again, it is just because it is your first one and they would like better images to base later ones off of.

Ah are Mammograms done much earlier in the US then ? Here our current age is 50 (unless a referral) and is moving down to 47 years old. If that is the case, as the previous poster suggests and you may be much younger....then yes she is quite correct.....mammograms don't give great base-line images for younger women with dense breast tissue and ultrasound would be the scanning of choice.

My friend just had her first mammogram as she has just turned 38. Her gyno told her not to be surprised is she gets a call back because they don’t have a baseline mammo to go by. So if you have especially dense tissue, they often have to get more images. They ended up calling her back and she had to go in for more, clearer images. She was fine.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

They do seem earlier. Our health system had my wife come in at 40.

She also got a call back from her first one, simply because of no baseline. Seriously, while I don't have mammograms, this is ridiculously commonplace, especially the first time around.

It is my 6th one. I started at age 40. Only known family history is paternal Aunt. 40 is standard start age here. My other have been normal BUT I just moved to Pennsylvania from New York. All my scan results are in New York and they said it can take up to 60 days to get them. Not sure what makes Breast tissue “dense” but I’m not overweight. 5’3” and 140 pounds.
    I googled....I know we shouldn’t....and see that call backs are common but I’m so so scared. I want to think because they want more images of both breasts that it’s becaise they want to establish a baseline but I can’t get terrible thoughts out of my head. They didn’t call back for more results on my first one back in NY. I cry through each mammogram because I’m so scared of bad results. I can’t even imagine how I will behave Wednesday. I’ll have to take a Xanax.
    God why are we like this??

I had a recall two months ago after a mammogram and called them to ask why so I knew what to expect so why don't you do that?

I had to have 5 core biopsies done but all was fine.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I did ask why. However, it was the nurse and not the doctor. She said they likely need to see through dense tissue as they don’t have prior mammogram from NY where I used to live. Said it can take 60 days to receive them. My HOPe is that is all it is and to establish a new baseline with a new doctor/facility/healthcare system. She assured me it’s fairly routine on a first mammogram but my mind can’t think like that. I’ve been sick all night. I have to wait until Wednesday morning to know more but it’s terrifying for me. I keep thinking about my kids. I wish to God I didn’t worry and I’ve tried over the years to ny worry about things but I just can’t.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information