Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram

Re: Mammogram

The waiting is hard. I had to wait nearly a week for the results as well.

Just keep busy.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm sorry you have to go through this. My Mam had to have a bunch of re-scans for different reason but I'm so happy that nothing sinister has ever become of those. I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts x.

Sending prayers for peace a just a routine follow up for you, as I'm sure it will be. *Big hugs*

Saying that, not quite the same, but 2 years ago today had to do a 3 month follow up with biopsy, it was benign.

(dense tissue is just dense tissue, not related to weight. Its more usual in younger women, whose tissues haven't aged - but there are plenty who still have it late in life. You said in your first post that it was your 'first routine mammogram', so people presumed you were quite young)

Can I challenge you slightly and ask - why do you go for routine mammograms? Really....I am serious. What is your reason for attending all 6 of them? Its of course the right thing to do and I applaud you, but you must realise that you attend them to make sure at a very early stage that anything suspect can be picked up and dealt with. Nobody has to go for mammograms, screening and for that matter any treatment is a choice in life - our choice. The waiting is agony and I've had my fair share of it, sometimes having to wait up to 6 weeks for results, so I understand the psychological torture it can feel like.

It is common to feel the way you do after a call-back - infact I would think that 99 percent of women are terrified. However, the mammogram and screening isn't the threat here, its a life-saver. Mammograms save lives day in and day out, by alerting medics to early breast changes at a point where they can be effectively treated. I've known women who have been terrified like you about a call-back and sick with worry about mammograms, who have been diagnosed (not saying you will be !!!!!!!) and have said 'thank god I went for that mammogram when I did!'. I know you are mega-ultra scared, but for any woman isn't it better to find out and have it dealt with than years later have it reach stage 4 and ...well.....you know....be untreatable. (I visit such a woman weekly in my local community)

Maybe none of what I'm saying will help you, but as we all know other women search threads here and may be searching for 'waiting for mammogram results' and also have a callback.So, for those women as well, and any women or men with breast worries.....we need to change our perspective on the mammogram/ultrasound. Of course the thought that something could be wrong is beyond terrifying, but trust me you will be thankful you've had that call-back if anything is found! Maybe not thankful at first, as other emotions take over, but long-term you will be thankful. It is the wrong thing to reassure anyone that they will 'definitely be ok, and I'm sure its nothing to worry about', as 1 in 8 women will have some breast changes in their life that need treating. Painful to hear, hard to hear, yes, but those women...the huge vast majority go on to live full long lives after that, thanks to the mammogram. To counter the 1 in 8 statistic; that means that most, the vast majority, of referrals to the breast clinic are for benign reasons. As Leslie said above, even if you get a call back as they think something is suspicious, and they biopsy, it can be benign. They don't take any chances, if they are not 100 percent sure from a mammo.

So, was it Wednesday you are due back ? Thats nice and quick as these things go. Do let us know how you get on......we will all have fingers firmly crossed for you and hope you can come back and tell us what happened. x
    Last edited by Carys; 30-10-18 at 08:04.

OK I found my results. It says views of both breasts were obtained. Bilateral tissue is scattered fibroglandular in density bilaterally. There are focal areas of asymmetric tissue in the outer breasts bilaterally. There are no other masses, skin thickening, nipple retraction, or suspicious calcifications.

Impression: Focal asymmerties are present in both breasts. Since there are no prior studies available for comparison, a bilateral diagnostic mammogram with 3-D Telmo synthesis images and 90° lateral views would be recommended. If any focal masses are identified, a sonogram would be recommended. Then the radiologist wrote, for their images of both breasts to be sure all OK.

Thoughts? My appt is tomorrow morning.

Since there are no prior studies available for comparison, a bilateral diagnostic mammogram with 3-D Telmo synthesis images and 90° lateral views would be recommended.

They have no base-line as your previous images aren't there, so as they are recommending a further set of more complex scans to double check the.....

Focal asymmerties

which they could see, and could be normal for you.....but they want to be sure of that as can't compare to your last images.

As I said , in my long reply above ^ screening is about checking for changes, it is why you presumably go for it. Its a choice, in order that you find out if there is anything suspicious there. They are being thorough.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Since there are no prior studies available for comparison, a bilateral diagnostic mammogram with 3-D Telmo synthesis images and 90° lateral views would be recommended.

They have no base-line as your previous images aren't there, so as they are recommending a further set of more complex scans to double check the.....

Focal asymmerties

which they could see, and could be normal for you.....but they want to be sure of that as can't compare to your last images.

As I said , in my long reply above ^ screening is about checking for changes, it is why you presumably go for screening. Its a choice, in order that you find out if there is anything suspicious there. They are being thorough. They also add that IF they did see anything in those more complex 3D images they would do ultrasound on specific areas to try and identify what those masses were.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Sorry its double posted what I've written, the second version on the post has a longer bottom message. I can't seem to be able to edit it either !!!

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

BY the way - focal asymmetry.....

"Although a focal asymmetric density may represent normal breast tissue, further evaluation is often warranted to exclude a true mass or architectural distortion."

Thank you! I truly and gratefully appreciate you taking the time to respond. I just keep praying for the best.

You are welcome. Sorry about the mess up above, when I go to edit it comes up with a blank page and no words on it to edit.

Its a shame the previous mammo results hadn't already come through, as that would save you this waiting and heartache.

Sounds like they are just crossing their t's and dotting their i's. I really think it'll be ok!

Praying for you!!

How did it go today ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information