Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition To Further Restrict Fireworks (UK)

Petition To Further Restrict Fireworks (UK)

Hi all,

Just seen this pop up in my Change.org petitions and thought it would be of interest to people on here.

Many of us have pets or care for animals so we understand how this can upset them. Some have anxiety issues where loud bangs set them off, I used to have my issues with this when my GAD was much worse. Some of you may be on the Autistic spectrum or have loved ones who are and may struggle with these noises.

https://www.change.org/p/office-for-...ons_share_skip

I'm at the stage now where I don't see much point in them. We did our garden displays when we were kids. But now maybe it's time to shift it to public displays only remove fireworks from sale?

There are too many idiots around who let them off in the daytime or the middle of night let alone the ones who cause housefires and other problems.

Re: Petition To Further Restrict Fireworks (UK)

I think with the increase of powerful fireworks on the market and easily available to the public and the wrong hands, it is detrimental something is done.
    When we had our pub, we wouldn't use our grounds on bonfire night for the safety of our customers, we would get permission to use a field on the other side of the river, so it annoys me when our neighbours are using what you call commercial fireworks in their back gardens just so they can impress their friends. Until one gets injured.

I agree, I'm fed up of fireworks going off for - it seems like weeks either side of 'firework night'. On the actual firework night they often go here until the early hours and with distressed dogs its an awful period of time - despite every possible avenue explored with calming them. Its a miserable time in this house, as we need to alter everything to stop dogs climbing the walls -they won't go outside at all, won't eat, closed curtains, music blaring and lots of other distractions. Nothing really works though and you end up with shaking animals on your lap till morning.

Its the wildlife I wonder about too.....poor things.....
    Last edited by Carys; 30-10-18 at 14:33.

ALSO restricting it all to public displays will reduce the amount of anxiety caused in household pets, I used to love small back garden displays but Im not really sure what they achieve now

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I think with the increase of powerful fireworks on the market and easily available to the public and the wrong hands, it is detrimental something is done.
    When we had our pub, we wouldn't use our grounds on bonfire night for the safety of our customers, we would get permission to use a field on the other side of the river, so it annoys me when our neighbours are using what you call commercial fireworks in their back gardens just so they can impress their friends. Until one gets injured.
    Yes, the rockets now would rival the North Korean military parade

Not only the size but they have those boxes with hundreds of little ones in. They remind me of the rocket launcher trucks the military have!

As usual it's become about looking better than other people rather than just having fun so people want bigger & better.

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I agree, I'm fed up of fireworks going off for - it seems like weeks either side of 'firework night'. On the actual firework night they often go here until the early hours and with distressed dogs its an awful period of time - despite every possible avenue explored with calming them. Its a miserable time in this house, as we need to alter everything to stop dogs climbing the walls -they won't go outside at all, won't eat, closed curtains, music blaring and lots of other distractions. Nothing really works though and you end up with shaking animals on your lap till morning.

Its the wildlife I wonder about too.....poor things.....
    Same here. Some years it was months whereas others it's just weeks either side of bonfire night and Xmas. The idiots seem to let them off when they get home from school, work, the pub, etc. The one in the middle of the night is the most bizarre, as if they just can't get through the night with "a hit". Why just one banger? Seems more like just to get on other people's nerves to me.

We are pretty lucky as our dog isn't too bad. He has problems on the main nights because it's close to the house and the whizzing rockets are unusual. He can stand on the chair and watch them out of the window but he won't go out with it all if it's too close so we have to make sure he does his business earlier. Then he may go and hide behind the chair furthest from the window that is surrounded by walls/stuff as a hidey hole.

On one of the pet sites I have used they had a mailshot showing a dog hide. Just throwing a blanket over some chairs and putting his bed in there, some toys and spending some time in there fussing.

I wonder how Poppy gets on as she has a dog that needs medication from the vet for his/her nervous nature.

I feel sorry for the poor little things, they just feel afraid. The wildlife must be terrified.

---------- Post added at 02:29 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    ALSO restricting it all to public displays will reduce the amount of anxiety caused in household pets, I used to love small back garden displays but Im not really sure what they achieve now
    Looking back it was less about the fireworks and more about having a good time with all the family. Dad would be in & out lighting stuff and mum would be making hotdogs for us all.

That's what we enjoyed.

I've never understood the point of bangers either. It's just a loud fart. Unless you are blowing something up with them what's the point other than to outdo each other with a louder fart?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 31-10-18 at 03:27.

I've made dog-hides, draped blankets over various items to make caves with beds and toys inside....didn't work. I think they just need drugging LOL (which I won't do) Its the randomness of it that get to them I think, as you say one sudden loud rocket at the dead of night. When the large display is on not far away they seem fine.

For those with pets who are petrified I have worked out this routine for mine over the years and it really does help.

For fireworks night itself feed a carb heavy meal before dark.

Valarian compound is a great natural sedative and it works quickly if you are caught out.

Body wraps also lessen anxiety. My preference is for a horses excercise bandage or a knitted scarf as they both have a bit of give in them. https://barkpost.com/diy-anxiety-wrap/

If all else fails my dogs love Baileys so I give them a little of that to help them relax.

Apart from my dogs which are my life the stories of fireworks being directed at emergency workers and today a blind woman should really be more than enough to persuade the goverment that they should not be sold to the public.

We had a volley of them going off at 5.30am the other morning. Only the lack of police sirens convinced me that it wasn't a gunfight

Ooh, a sw-anky pooch on Baileys, eh?

Thanks for the link, Elen. I've seen the thunder jackets before but not this. I thought those were acupressure points though? The scarf option is very easy and I can understand how it feels like a hug to them, which they always love.

It's such an obvious & basic solution too as when you think about it they do like to lie all over each other for comfort and a garment that smells of mum is useful for settling puppies in when they are parted at first.

I can't get my head around the mentality of those idiots but then there are the same clowns who think it's funny to put them through letterboxes or harm animals.

Had some t#t letting off fireworks at 10pm on Wednesday night near me. Yep bl##dy 10pm, so you can't even say it was for the kids.

I'm lucky that my cat's don't care, but the last dog i had would hyperventilate, it was horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Had some t#t letting off fireworks at 10pm on Wednesday night near me. Yep bl##dy 10pm, so you can't even say it was for the kids.

I'm lucky that my cat's don't care, but the last dog i had would hyperventilate, it was horrid.
    Lightweight. Wait til you get the 3am bangers (I mean fireworks ) 10pm? Shouldn't the kids all be out drinking snakebite?

Kids are off this week so we are getting them in the daylight hours too.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information