Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Petition To Further Restrict Fireworks (UK)

Re: Petition To Further Restrict Fireworks (UK)

Its an interesting thread even being a couple years old. In the current times we live in, celebrating independence regardless of your country's origin is a bit ironic.

4th of July in the States is usually a rather overblown, boisterous and glamorous affair. When it comes to restricting fireworks, that's left up to the states. That said, I don't know of any state's residents that don't like to shoot off fireworks, legal or not, on the 4th.

Where I live, we can sit on our front steps or back deck and see some pretty good fireworks (from locals... illegally ). This year was different. A lot less fireworks and a general feeling (my perception) of negativity and sadness. People weren't outside and it just was unusually quiet.

A reflection of the times IMO.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Our neighborhood sounded like a war zone this year. Most of the large commercial displays around my city were cancelled due to Covid. And although they’re illegal to possess or shoot off in my city, I’m pretty sure every neighbor bought a cache of them lol. They don’t really bother me, or my dogs - but we live in a pretty tight neighborhood with houses fairly close together. So the risks of fires is high, especially when people shoot off the giant mortars and such. Got lucky this year, knock on wood. No houses burned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Its an interesting thread even being a couple years old. In the current times we live in, celebrating independence regardless of your country's origin is a bit ironic.

4th of July in the States is usually a rather overblown, boisterous and glamorous affair. When it comes to restricting fireworks, that's left up to the states. That said, I don't know of any state's residents that don't like to shoot off fireworks, legal or not, on the 4th.

Where I live, we can sit on our front steps or back deck and see some pretty good fireworks (from locals... illegally ). This year was different. A lot less fireworks and a general feeling (my perception) of negativity and sadness. People weren't outside and it just was unusually quiet.

A reflection of the times IMO.

Positive thoughts
    This was the opposite for us in Maryland. It was non-stop fireworks like I've never heard before! They were coming from every direction starting July 3 and going until July 5. We got a professional scale show from our deck as people set off the most amazing fireworks about 50 yards away in the soccer field behind our house. There were no official fireworks shows in my area this year, so I think everyone took it into their own hands. It was was depressing to not have the usual get-togethers though.

I 'm a bit late to this one, but I'd definitely support legislation to restrict or even ban the so-called "percussive" fireworks, such as aerial bombs and rocket bangers, that can make one's neighbourhood sound like a war zone at this time of year. One time around Guy Fawkes Night in the early 90s, when I lived in Tunbridge Wells, I was out walking in the evening and got so stressed out from all the bangers and aerial bombs that were being set off that I had to get a taxi home.

I don't want to be a killjoy about this because I have happy memories of Bonfire Night from my childhood, with hot dogs, coconut ice, penny for the Guy - and yes, fireworks too - but why have they gotten so LOUD nowadays?
    Last edited by graham58; 07-11-20 at 01:08.

These days I hate them. They're definitely louder than they were. Those big boom fireworks should not be allowed for personal use. They should be kept for professional displays.

The majority of back garden displays are terrible. It's a waste of money. I don't want to be that kill joy either because I do enjoy a professional show, the atmosphere, the smell of fire and food smells etc. I do love me a bit of that.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by graham58 View Post
    I 'm a bit late to this one, but I'd definitely support legislation to restrict or even ban the so-called "percussive" fireworks, such as aerial bombs and rocket bangers, that can make one's neighbourhood sound like a war zone at this time of year. One time around Guy Fawkes Night in the early 90s, when I lived in Tunbridge Wells, I was out walking in the evening and got so stressed out from all the bangers and aerial bombs that were being set off that I had to get a taxi home.

I don't want to be a killjoy about this because I have happy memories of Bonfire Night from my childhood, with hot dogs, coconut ice, penny for the Guy - and yes, fireworks too - but why have they gotten so LOUD nowadays?
    I'm not quite sure 'consumer' fireworks are really any louder nowadays or that we've become more hypersensitive to them, and inadvertently, our tolerance of them is lesser now compared to when we were much younger and perhaps a lot more carefree, so probably didn't at the time give it as much as a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I'm not quite sure 'consumer' fireworks are really any louder nowadays or that we've become more hypersensitive to them, and inadvertently, our tolerance of them is lesser now compared to when we were much younger and perhaps a lot more carefree, so probably didn't at the time give it as much as a second thought.
    Modern research in explosives means big explosions in smaller packets. I think there's a pill for that too.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Feel free to sign the original petition. I get regular updates and she is still pushing for more legislation.

It's even relevant to us. Loud bangs make us jump but there are also those with PTSD who are triggered into flashbacks (veterans, for instance) so change would be good.

Given governments have regulated the decibels a hoover can output, a pointless attempt at noise reduction, you would think private fireworks would be on the list.

Whilst like others I have gone memories it's perhaps time to move towards event only fireworks. The same for religious celebration. We have so many more outlets for our stimulation needs today that it will soon be forgotten.

They are definitely louder than in my childhood days. Some you can buy now remind me of the commercial ones years ago.

Thanks for replying.

I think they're louder now than they were in the 60s. Louder than the early 90s, which was when I first started to have a problem with them? I'm not sure, maybe not.
    Last edited by graham58; 10-11-20 at 16:49.

Thanks for this thread Terry, I've only just seen it. Lexie our black lab has spent the last two weeks in a state of fear. One night the 6th I think, some locals had a huge firework knees up and I thought she might have a heart attack. She was trying to get behind the sofa. I think a new law restricting fireworks to the 5th and that's it. That's how it was when I was a kid and like Pain said earlier, the original reason for fireworks on 5th November has been buried under an avalanche of money spinning.

In fact I just heard some now and its what, the 14th??

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information