Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 people claiming to be fortune tellers told me I would die young

3 people claiming to be fortune tellers told me I would die young

I thought long and hard about posting this, but it is affecting my recovery with health anxiety.
    Before anyone says, 'it's your fault for going to fortune tellers'. I didn't. These people have met me going about my business who grabbed my hand and told me this after looking at my palm. They all claimed to have the 'gift'.
    I am not stupid to think these people are genuine, but 3 people saying and doing the exact same thing has mucked up my thoughts on this. And this is over a period of over 20 years which I have carried around in my brain.
    I even Googled it and I do have a short life line, but that does not mean short life.
    As you can tell, I am haunted by these messages and one of these people gave me a hug when they said it and gave me an age which is about now!
    I know we all have to die sometime, but I'm going around thinking, "Is it today, tomorrow, next week?"
    Anyone got a sensible answer on this?

Re: 3 people claiming to be fortune tellers told me I would die young

What work do you do to meet so many fortune tellers?

I can see why this is haunting you, at a stage in my life it would have really got to me too.

BUT.........

These people are the biggest con in the book. Of course they believe they 'have the gift' ...what gift though?....the gift of complete b*llsh*it and self-delusion. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, can tell anything by looking at the palm of your hand. That's not strictly true, medics and psychiatrists look at your hands for ill-health signs, signs you care for yourself and signs of non-verbal communication.

Nobody can tell what is going to happen to anybody tomorrow, the next day, next year, or in a life-time. They are looking at a few things on your hands and have 'trained themselves' to look for patterns and ascribe some meaning to them. For example - say one of the lines is wiggly, then that always means x, y or z. I reckon then they all stick to those same training rules....which would account for why 3 of them told you the same darned thing.

I believe something about fortune tellers, that they are more than likely mentally ill themselves. I mean seriously what sort of person would walk around saying they could 'see into the future and your life length?' Thats actually very cruel to do that to someone, try and taint their thought processes with extreme fear. Someone who was There is luckily in this world, free will, we will all choose our own paths. Nobody can foresee those in the future.

I have no idea what you mean by googling that you had a 'short life-line' ....
    Last edited by Carys; 30-10-18 at 12:02.

I'm a big believe in self sabotaging behavior when it comes to a idea of suggestion. Like it is strange that three different people told you that- but at the same time. People can be very, very wrong. Like it's like if someone suggestion a idea to you (like in this case, die young). You'll end up picking choices that could be the down fall of yourself. Like also, these people are often well trained in "picking people". So like they know who will whole the most weight to their words.

Like I don't believe you're going to die young just because these people told you so. Like it is freaky and I'll agree with that! When I was a child, one of my friends in school Mams claimed to have some type of gift. One time when I was at their house, she grabbed my hand and told me I had a short life line and that was a shame. I didn't sleep for weeks after that. In moments of bad times I still think about it!

I've found this article quickly, which is quite interesting.....

https://womanitely.com/reasons-not-v...rtune-tellers/

Next time, in your course of working (whatever that might be ???) don't let anyone look at your palm, or your tea leaves Tell them, no sorry, you don't believe in that type of thing.

Thank you all so much for your helpful and informative replies.
    Carys, I read through that article and found it made great sense. I didn't meet these FT's through work. The first was in a pub, the 2nd was in a shop and the 3rd was in a pub toilet. Sounds stupid now I have written it, but 2 were men and the other was a woman.
    My o/h has told me not to let it affect me, but I do tend to be a vulnerable and sensitive person.
    I do believe you are in charge of your own destiny, but at the same time those comments have probably prevented me from doing certain things in my life.
    For example, flying and driving.
    Although I think my fear of driving is from yet another comment said to me by my father. He told me he had a predication of me having a car crash, which I did!!! Days later. Although not serious, I have had a phobia of driving since then.
    Because of that, I take predictions seriously and words can be so powerful to what seems like a broken mind.
    But, the replies here have helped me as I don't have anyone else to discuss with except my o/h.
    I'm sure my late mum if she was alive would say, "don't be taken in by these people, you are in charge of your own destiny! "

Ah yes, sorry, you said 'going about my business', I thought it was a business where you were meeting fortune tellers!

He told me he had a predication of me having a car crash, which I did!!! Days later.
    Flippin 'eck, that was a really stopppid thing to say to someone (sorry I know its your Dad, but I can't imagine saying that to a child of mine, its so mean). A prime example of a 'prediction' becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, as you were then fearful and waiting for it to happen, and no doubt changed your driving habits accordingly....and voila.

You are right, these comments by silly people who think they can fore-tell things are easily taken on board when the listeners are low and vulnerable. Its really no joke. Such a shame its made you change certain things in your life. Decades ago I too was worried about 'old wives tales' and chain letters (yeah, not emails in those days) and superstitions, to me they come into the same category as fortune telling......paranoid thoughts which are put into the mind by the words of others. I made it my task in life to 'undo' them all and prove them wrong. New shoes went on the table, umbrellas were opened in the house, I walked under ladders carrying black cats lol You get the idea. Nobody has power over you, or can 'see' anything. I am a believer in co-incidence and probability....two premises from maths/science.

Just as well I'm not in the 'Spirit' work Carys, can you imagine how that would affect me.
    Yes, I don't know what possessed, excuse the pun, my dad to say that to me, but he was in a bad place at that time and died weeks after his comment.
    But yes, I was not driving in my usual way. I think I remember my shoulders right up to cheekbones behind the steering wheel.
    It was o/h that reminded me of what he said after talking about the Fortune Teller subject.

Oh I'm so sorry, he must have been very unwell then and not behaving /talking normally at all......

Throw this fortune teller thing away Carnation, you have control of your life and how you live it.

Thanks Carys, I already feel better about it all. x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Between you and I, Carnation, I have a secret "gift" for predicting the future of NMP members

"You will live a long and healthy life, albeit battling with a beastly anxiety/panic disorder at times, which you will eventually win..."

If I had told you that 20 years ago, would it have changed the way you lived your life? Of course not, because our anxiety only focuses on the negative and catastrophic outcomes

Let it go, Carnation...

Psychic Complaint Status: Vanished (into shredder)

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information