Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Als fears

Als fears

Hi, I have never written on a forum before but I am just so consumed with worry. I'm a 32 year old woman and for as long as I can remember I have had health anxiety. This is a whole new level.of anything I've experienced before. I started twitching throughout My whole body about a month ago and I've been so worried about it that it is als, I also have perceived weakness in my limbs. The scariest part though is I woke in the middle of the night and couldn't lift my arm. It just wouldn't move more than a few inches. After 30 seconds I could move it again but now 12 hours later it is so sore and achey/heavy. Please help reassure me. Also I have ck blood test which was normal and all other blood tests and basic reflexes/strength test normal

Re: Als fears

I'm sure Fishmanpa will be along shortly with his useful link about this fear.....

I'm glad you used the phrase 'perceived weakness', thats a refreshing thing to read. Most people here think they definitely DO have weakness, but it seems like you are able to understand that it isn't real weakness, but just 'feels' it. ALS/MND is a hugely common fear on this forum, as it seems to be the ultimate fear condition for many, you will find many many threads on it - often daily - if you do a search. The fact that your reflex and strength tests show no change are testament to it being a 'perceived weakness'.

Now, your arm. I would honestly put money on that being something that happened after you laid on your arm in an odd way and cut off the blood flow. I have had this a number of times in my life, I literally can't use the arm when I wake up and it won't move and slowly slowly over a minute, as the blood flow returns, I start to be able to use it. YOu don't get the usual pins and needles that you often get in a leg for some reason, but the muscles have been starved of blood and oxygen. It won't be ALS thats for sure! You are connecting that occurrence with your ALS fear. When I've done it really badly, yes that arm feels rubbish the next day as its been - errr - can't think of the right word ' 'traumatised' through whatever I did in the night.

Twitching is another symptom that occurs on these boards, and is anxiety-connected. Hyper tense states put physicological pressure on nerves and tissues. Its nothing more than that.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have honestly never known anxiety like the one connected to als. Reading your reply has certainly helped me as I think deep down I know the truth I just need help with realising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I'm sure Fishmanpa will be along shortly with his useful link about this fear.....
    And.... here you go! READ THIS as often as you need to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for your reply. Part of me knows I don't have als but at the back of my mind I'm still questioning it because I really couldn't move my arm and now it aches so much. What if that was the start?

...and...the reason I gave you for what happened ?

ALS doesn't start like that. Trust me.

Thank you for your kind words, I am feeling much less anxious today but.... I have been taking fluoxetine for 2 weeks now to help with the anxiety but I'm starting to feel quite depressed, could this be a side affect of the meds (i have taken fluoxetine for depression in the past)

Ooo I don't know, I don't know that medication.....there is a page on this forum for it. You could try posting there and see what others think?

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Ah, ok, its prozac. My mother had quite bad mood changes on it, but you say you've had it before ?

Thanks, I'm still trying to find my way around the forum! I'm just worrying about the depression as I read als can cause depression/anxiety. It's just a horrible circle that keeps going round in my head!

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoworried View Post
    I read als can cause depression/anxiety.
    Yeah, fatal illnesses as well as any serious illness can have that effect on people. I'm afraid your anxiety is really reaching to hang onto this irrational fear. You don't have ALS. You just don't

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information