Thread: Depression advice

Depression advice

Hi

I am struggling at the moment with HA and depression. Most of the time I manage but the depression is dragging me down now. I've been on anti depressants in the past but didn't find them that effective, despite trying various types. I don't want to feel numb, I want to feel happy. Maybe a stupid question - but do ANY make you feel happier? I take Tamoxifen (as a preventative measure due to strong family history of BC) and I know a side effect is increased risk of depression so that hasn't helped, but the future seems so bleak and I just can't seem to shake the sadness.

Re: Depression advice

I was diagnosed with depression a few years back and put on fluoxitine. I found them to not work at all. Instead of going back to the doctors I read that exercise was a good substitute so joined a gym. It really helped. Do you do much exercise?

Thanks Superworried. Yeah I know exercise would help .....it's breaking the circle though. Exhausted due to lack of sleep (due to depression?) so no energy for exercise. Plus motivation an issue. But yes ....you are right to mention exercise.

Honestly, I was exactly the same. Feeling exhausted, unable to really move etc. I ended up having loads of blood tests on my 18th birthday to find out what was wrong with me.

You've just got to push yourself to go. You don't have to do a massive session, but even just getting on the treadmill and walking for 20 minutes is a start and will make you feel a little better.

Positive thoughts

They gave me sertraline for my depression but I only lasted three months on them as they caused me too many side effects. I have gone without since then.

Thread Information