Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Little Bit of Politics ...........

Re: A Little Bit of Politics ...........

Have always felt that MPs should be dealt with more severely than they have been when they break the law or break the parliamentary rules.

There should have been far more convictions when they were fiddling their expenses as well

Just been reading in Politics First about how the success story of 2019 in the NHS will be the parity of Mental Health with Physical Health due to the new £2.3 billion of additional mental health funding. However it still feels to me from my dealings with my Mental Health that nothing had changed / is changing. Apparently by 2023 we will have a round the clock mental health crisis line on a par with 111 , probably roled out through 111. The one thing that really does need to happen is more patient access to talking therapies but at the same time these need to be qualified practitioners and not cardigan counsellors whom dont have the insight that those navigating mental health need.

Parity of esteem is an interesting phrase to use as we have seen that eroded by this same Government since 2010 and in my local area the Norfolk & Suffolk Mental Health Trusts have been in special measures 3 out of the last 4 years and are currently in special measures.

All party commitees on Social Media, Young Peoples Mental Health and Wellbeing have got to look beyond the cash injection to get parity of esteem, its the attitudes of Health Professionals & Occupational Health teams in Businesses that need to en educated as well in order to deliver change in this.

Mental Health has been on the Agenda for several years now, reports have happened often on TV News and in the 4th Estate but in the last 4/5 years veryt little has changed for the better, does the billions ensure that things will change in the next 4/5 years ????

Tony,

I really can't see that being anything but a token gesture. And there is no way it will achieve parity with physical care, we are a long way off that. As you say, the services themselves just aren't there and like the arguments over the shortages of doctors this will take years to sort out.

Our disorders can take years to sort out. The charity & voluntary sector take up much of the strain and they understand it's not just about what is considered illness but about healthy living. Some of these issues are related to our place I society and they are not easy to address when you consider they spill over into substance misuse, homelessness, crime, lack of social mobility, education failures, etc.

Chronic illness on physical care is not exactly that great either.

How is the money spread? One year or across several? It doesn't seem that much to me considering the costs the NHS has flagged about mental health. There is also the question of money saved by better services but who is joining this up?

Having a 111 you can call for mental health support seems a bit odd in a way. We could call them now and tie up their lines like a crisis line. But 111 are very patchy, I've heard doctors admit they are a poor service causing them problems! It may be a lifeline to those who need phone support but what will they do? Just tell you to go to A&E as they often do now as a disclaimer?

I'll add the sleave in here that is Lord David Steel. The man who has said to the current enquiry he suspected Sir Cyril Smith was guilty of child abuse yet decided it wasn't his concern because it happened before he joined the party and even put him up for a knighthood. And has even gone as far as saying he may do the same again today if it happened.

What is wrong with these people? How can they retain positions like this were they can influence the protection of the vulnerable through policy and voting when they seem to see little wrong in such such abuse?

so in the last week we have Boris decide that historical child abuse investigations were 'spaffing' money up the wall, what a moron and what a pitiable turn of phrase !!!

& David Steel, someone I admired, thinks that it wasn't on his watch to deal with because if was before his time !!!

be99ars belief

We have so many mental health problems to deal with today because of the historical treatment of todays adults by yesterdays adults

BJ's comments were just incredible. The choice of words was unbelievable. Why don't we just stop investigating all past crimes and let everyone off?

A very serious far right terrorist attack in New Zealand. RIP to those lost and support wished to those who remain with us. The statement by the Australian senator made me just It's not the time to raise political concerns about immigration, if that's what they can be termed?

The Oz senator was really out of order.
    We have family in Oz & NZ.
    In NZ they are amazed as the local community where Muslims & Christians & Atheists live together is a really positive one.

They are really in shock that this could have happened where it did.
    Also the Bangledesh cricket team were only minutes away from being caught up in it, makes you wonder if that was the target at the Mosque.

RIP and Sympathies to all those impacted in NZ

I really hope the videos are removed as best they can be. Another misuse of technology . They will always be out there but hopefully most of us won't see what these monsters did. We don't need to, we can understand events without seeing the excitement of the perpetrators.

Im putting this in here as its a different strand of thought that there was an article in G2 of the Guardian published today that dealt with looking at how Brexit was affecting peoples mental health. A poll of 2000 folks by Britain Thinks ( I dont know who they are so i better google them at some point ) saying that 83% of people sick of Brexit and 64% think its negatively affecting Mental Health. I guess for some Brexit is an existential threat to them, to the UK ?!?

Wasn't it Cameron who introduced Happiness indices for the UK measuring optimism and peccesmism.

I think the below is an online article earlier in the week on the same subject:-
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-mental-health

BritainThinks are an international insight and strategy consultancy. Im none the wiser having found their website !!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information