Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble swallowing, sometimes painful

Unhappy Trouble swallowing, sometimes painful

So, hello. I'm a long time sufferer of hypochandria. This is an ISSue I've had before that actually cost me a lot of my mental and physical health in the past. Some newer symptoms this time. I'll try to make this short. About two weeks ago, my throat had been feeling a bit raw. I figured it was because we just installed a new wood stove and had to fix the pipe because it was filling our home with smoke. Anyways, that lovely voice of anxiety started creeping up in the back of my had that something was wrong with my throat. Didn't dwell on it until my husband came home from work and said he had an overwhelming feeling of sadness at some point that day. The irrational in me said this was a premonition. From then on, I've been concentrating on my swallowing and it seems once the food hits the base of my throat, it moves very slowly. This has caused major anxiety. Physically it feels like my esophagus is spamming painfully and that burps are getting trapped in my chest. It actually went away for almost for days and then, two days ago, I was eating some toast and eggs. I went to take a drink and it's like both food and drink got stuck and it hurt but finally went down. It happened again yesterday and twice today. Logic says this is all anxiety. Hypochandria says this is throat or esophageal cancer. Also, my throat is again feeling sore today. Can anyone please help? Should I be worried??

Re: Trouble swallowing, sometimes painful

I know your anxiety voice is screaming but I would really listen to the logical voice. This is coming from a Head and Neck cancer survivor.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for the reassurance. Sincerely. My grandma did not survive and I think that's what first triggered all this anxiety 10 years ago. I am very happy you survived.

I hate to bug but I'm back again. Actually things were getting better and it seemed I was only having trouble swallowing when I started to feel myself get stressed out. The night before last, we had spaghetti and i was was not under any sort of anxiety. That is, until i swallowed. Seems i couldn't seem to get it down unless i took a swallow of my drink. Of course this sent me into a panic. I pushed it aside and finished dinner. The next night we had chicken alfredo and not one single swallowing issue. I also had a handful of peanut m and ms. I took a large vitamin c pill before bed as usual. I break them in half because they are large. The first piece seemed to stick at the back of my throat but the second piece went down fine. Tonight I had a hamburger and it seems a few times pieces would stick in the back of my throat and I'd have to drink to get it down. I have not been anxious today. In fact, I've been in a great mood without worries. So is this cause for concern? Can it still be happening if my anxiety is in check? I'm trying not to freak out. Please help if anyone can.

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

Let me be more clear. When I googled this at first, I read that when there is cancer present in the throat, things like pasta and raw vegetables become a challenge to swallow which made me think that that might be why I had the issues with the spaghetti and not other things that I've eaten over the last few days. I also have caught a cold for the past two days with a soar throat. I'm really trying to be calm and my husband is trying to keep me calm. He says iys not going to get better and go back to normal right away.

Question Please help

So, on a earlier thread I posted I was having swallowing issues. For the most part, that issue has fixed itself by my not focusing on it and not googling it, of course. When I was having the issues, I started having this weird feeling of a burp coming up that, more then anything, was very uncomfortable. It was happening all day. Now, it happens sometimes after I eat and when I get up in the morning, and seemingly when I start getting stressed out. I tried googling what it might be. Yes, I know, a big no no. But I didn't really even find answers there. Could someone please help explain this? Has anyone had any similar experiences? Thank you.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Acid indigestion/acid reflux by the sounds of it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you for the quick reply. I've been so frustrated felt like crying. I've been told in the past I most likely have silent reflux since there is no heartburn. One more quick question. Will this go away as my nerves calm or should I get a prescription of some sort to get it under control?

Both. Meds can really help and getting treatment for your anxiety will help you deal more effectively with life in general.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you again. Tired of this vicious cycle. Bawling even writing this. I know it probably gets frustrating answering these silly questions but thank you for the lifeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information