Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Severe anxiety over pancreatic cancer

Re: Anxiety after Call from Doc's office (while on vacation, no less!)

Just a quick update on this whole stupid thing:

My clinic was closed today, so I couldn't call to get an appointment or get my US results. So, since I was working myself into a panic over whether or not the doc actually got my US results over the past week and a half (in my current state, I have a hard time accepting that nothing is wrong, so my rationale was: "well, instead of having a clear US, the doc obviously just didn't receive the results, so that's why she didnt call yet, because the results HAVE to have shown something very sinister), I chose to call the clinic where the US was performed to confirm that the US was actually sent.

The receptionist told me that the US was sent the next day, so she seemed surprised that I wasn't contacted. This initially made me nervous, because I'm thinking "well, why does she think I HAD to have been contacted by now? Did she see a note that indicates something sinister? Or is she just wondering why I'm calling, assuming a mistake was made on their end?". I tend to go in loops like that.

I also pressed for the results, and she was kind of tentative at first, saying things like "what can tell you...? Well, it wouldn't be anything that should worry you I think. But you should talk to your doctor and see what she says." So I pressed a bit more: "was it normal?" "Well, it doesn't actually say 'normal', but it's not 'abnormal' either". "Ok,are there any notes or anything?" "Well, it just says that you have a simple cyst on the right kidney. But I shouldn't be telling you this." "That was the only note?" "Well, there's a whole report, but that's the only note. I really shouldn't be telling you this. So your doctor should talk to you. Please don't tell them I told you anything."

So, I guess that should put me at ease right? I'm not really concerned at all about the kidney cyst, but I'm more just wondering if the receptionist was hiding something from me. Like she kind of stopped short of telling me it was fine. Maybe there were some sinister results that she didnt have the heart to tell me, which is why she kept emphasizing that I speak to my doc. Or maybe the fax didnt go through and the doc never received anything. All of these what ifs are swirling around.

Heading in Monday during their walk-in hours to hopefully get a full debrief on the blood test and US results.

Re: Anxiety after Call from Doc's office (while on vacation, no less!)

Hypo not to sound mean or unsympathetic to what you're going through, but you put that receptionist in a position where she could lose her job. That's so not cool.

If she had to tell you "don't tell anyone I told you".. it was wrong. I'm positive she crossed that line because you pushed her for information and she felt bad for you.

Believe me, I get the anxiety waiting for test results but don't we have to think of others too and how our anxiety affects them?

Severe anxiety over pancreatic cancer

Hey everyone,

Been posting a lot lately about my fears of liver/pancreatic cancer, and my tests etc.

So, to keep the background short, I'm 32 yr old male, non-smoker, barely overweight, but eat very horribly. What set this whole panic off initially was receiving a call about slightly elevated ALT levels, which led me to believe my liver was full of tumors. Over the course of my obsessive googling, I came across a story of a guy who had pancreatic cancer, and his only symptoms were slightly elevated liver enzymes and severe fatigue. This cycle of pancreatic/liver cancer fear has been exhausting, and I just had a repeat blood test and an abdominal ultrasound to hopefully put my mind at ease.

Both came back clear, including the imaging of my liver and pancreas. This should be enough to calm normal people down.

However, I read that US is not the preferred method of viewing the pancreas, and that small tumors can go unnoticed because it's so deep in the abdomen. I've also also had lighter brown stools that are kind of fluffy looking and float (I've had this in the past I think) and have been passing,once a day at most, a oval shaped yellowish object that is white inside and has a soft texture when cut open (I take generic effexor XR every morning). I also noticed today that one of my bowel movements looked like it had a slight oily film to it or something (I'm in such a rabbit hole that I'm studying my stools intensely now). I don't know what else to do now that my abdominal US was clear, or what else I can do to calm down.

Has anyone else suffered this before? I'm terrified that the oily film/soft oval shaped object and lighter brown stools are due to lots of fat not being absorbed, meaning that my pancreas is shutting down and cancerous.

I know this might be far fetched given my age, but I'm panicking nonetheless

Re: Severe anxiety over pancreatic cancer

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    Hey everyone,

Been posting a lot lately about my fears of liver/pancreatic cancer, and my tests etc.

So, to keep the background short, I'm 32 yr old male, non-smoker, barely overweight, but eat very horribly. What set this whole panic off initially was receiving a call about slightly elevated ALT levels, which led me to believe my liver was full of tumors. Over the course of my obsessive googling, I came across a story of a guy who had pancreatic cancer, and his only symptoms were slightly elevated liver enzymes and severe fatigue. This cycle of pancreatic/liver cancer fear has been exhausting, and I just had a repeat blood test and an abdominal ultrasound to hopefully put my mind at ease.

Both came back clear, including the imaging of my liver and pancreas. This should be enough to calm normal people down.

However, I read that US is not the preferred method of viewing the pancreas, and that small tumors can go unnoticed because it's so deep in the abdomen. I've also also had lighter brown stools that are kind of fluffy looking and float (I've had this in the past I think) and have been passing,once a day at most, a oval shaped yellowish object that is white inside and has a soft texture when cut open (I take generic effexor XR every morning). I also noticed today that one of my bowel movements looked like it had a slight oily film to it or something (I'm in such a rabbit hole that I'm studying my stools intensely now). I don't know what else to do now that my abdominal US was clear, or what else I can do to calm down.

Has anyone else suffered this before? I'm terrified that the oily film/soft oval shaped object and lighter brown stools are due to lots of fat not being absorbed, meaning that my pancreas is shutting down and cancerous.

I know this might be far fetched given my age, but I'm panicking nonetheless
    A few hours ago, I talked to a GI doctor about stomach and pancreatic cancer fears. He told me the floating/sinking stool thing is an internet thing only. He told me if it's PC, you will see very dramatic weight loss (think 30 pounds in a month) and pain in the center of your abdomen that's constant. He said if there were very dramatic changes in bowel movements or if the pain/discomfort is associated with bowel movements then they'd do further testing (e.g., CT scan).

What can strangers on an internet anxiety forum say to you that would reassure you more than the medical professionals?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    What can strangers on an internet anxiety forum say to you that would reassure you more than the medical professionals?

Positive thoughts
    That's a fair point. I'm pretty deep into this rabbit hole, and not always able to think rationally.

Floating/sinking stools is a total myth. When I eat like shit and drink shit loads of alcohol it sinks...but when I eat healthy it floats. Total and utter myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    Floating/sinking stools is a total myth. When I eat like shit and drink shit loads of alcohol it sinks...but when I eat healthy it floats. Total and utter myth.
    Yeah, I second this. If I eat a lot of broccoli they could be used as life preservers. If I eat fries and burgers, down they go. I am not sure how that myth started, but the one thing I do know is this:

I know two people who have had pancreatic cancer, one passed from it, one survived. There was ZERO question, with either of them, that something was very, very wrong. It was not subtle, it was not slow, and it was not nice. If their examples are accurate, you would know if you had pc. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    Yeah, I second this. If I eat a lot of broccoli they could be used as life preservers. If I eat fries and burgers, down they go. I am not sure how that myth started, but the one thing I do know is this:

I know two people who have had pancreatic cancer, one passed from it, one survived. There was ZERO question, with either of them, that something was very, very wrong. It was not subtle, it was not slow, and it was not nice. If their examples are accurate, you would know if you had pc. Period.
    I have a question about that. So, everyone says it's the "silent killer" so I always assumed that meant the symptoms weren't obvious. Or does that just mean that you don't typically feel symptoms until it's gone too far... and when the hit its unmistakable?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomania View Post
    everyone says...
    Everyone = Dr. Google I assume? Your dragon is holding on for dear life with this fear I'm afraid Are you doing anything to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information