Thread: Never been like this before, terrified!

Never been like this before, terrified!

I’ve had a cold for about a week and a half but two days ago I woke up with the worst sore throat I’ve ever had. It’s so bad I can feel it in my ears when I swallow. I thought my cold was getting better as I was coughing less but I’ve never had this bad of a sore throat before. I’m so scared I have a serious infection, because my neck and shoulders feel sore and slightly stiff but I can still put my chin to my chest and move, albeit it’s quite sore. No lozenges or medicine seems to be touching it and my cheeks are burning up. I’ve not been sick, I can breathe fine except when I try to take a deep one I cough (chest irritation). I’m so scared this has never happened before. Anyone had a very severe sore throat that’s been just a virus?

Re: Never been like this before, terrified!

Quote Originally Posted by unicorndusy View Post
    Anyone had a very severe sore throat that’s been just a virus?
    Yep. That said, if you feel that bad, call your doctor.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Yep. That said, if you feel that bad, call your doctor.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks for your quick reply, fishmanpa, I am thinking maybe give it another day and then ring tomorrow? It’s just so sore when I swallow it’s horrible.

Hi! I have my own issues going at the moment. So I know how scary it can be! I've had things just like that before! Like, my GP wouldn't give me anything because she said it was a virus and it was bad put it passed on soon enough! That being said, it's always best to talk to your gp about you! Since we're all different. I hope you feel better soon x!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahNah View Post
    Hi! I have my own issues going at the moment. So I know how scary it can be! I've had things just like that before! Like, my GP wouldn't give me anything because she said it was a virus and it was bad put it passed on soon enough! That being said, it's always best to talk to your gp about you! Since we're all different. I hope you feel better soon x!
    Hey, thanks so much for your lovely reply. I’m trying to think logically and believe that it is a virus, I don’t get ill that often so when I do, it usually knocks me for six. My doctor usually says the same thing, and I always feel awful going in about something when it’s not an infection when someone else could’ve had my appointment who has a serious problem. I’m just afraid because of the sore neck and stuff I am developing something serious, but the fact I can move it still and touch my chin to my chest says I am okay...for now. Thanks again though x

Sorry to bump but I thought I’d give an update. Basically it’s gotten into a pattern of getting better then worse, during the day it’s bearable but at night it’s a million times worse. My cough has calmed down a little but it’s still there, I’ve looked into my throat and it seems like I have white patches on my tonsils, I’m praying this is just viral as taking antibiotics terrifies me in case in the future I won’t respond to them. I might go doctors in the week I just wish this would go away.

Actually it sounds like it's starting to wane. It's not unusual to feel better during the day after a night's rest and start to feel poorly in the evenings as your body is tired. I think that's a good plan concerning the doctor. Give it a week or so and see how you feel.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Actually it sounds like it's starting to wane. It's not unusual to feel better during the day after a night's rest and start to feel poorly in the evenings as your body is tired. I think that's a good plan concerning the doctor. Give it a week or so and see how you feel.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks for your reply, fishmanpa. It’s strange how it can feel almost unnoticeable during the day (apart from the cough) but at night I wake up at about 3am and it feels so, so raw. Thank you for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by unicorndusy View Post
    Thanks for your reply, fishmanpa. It’s strange how it can feel almost unnoticeable during the day (apart from the cough) but at night I wake up at about 3am and it feels so, so raw. Thank you for the advice
    Breathing through your mouth I imagine.

Positive thoughts

Breathing through your mouth I imagine.

Positive thoughts
    Good point, I also seem to be waking at the same exact time in the night, which is kinda weird but I know that has nothing to do with anxiety or anything. I’ve tried gargling with warm salt water and that seems to be taking the edge off.

Thread Information